[SOLVED] (UK) New Telecomms / Network idea - suggestions very welcome

You could, but likely you have more stuff to connect - is that not the case?

1 Like

Thank you for your patience guys, you’re good eggs :clap::clap::clap:

@oO.o

Well that’s a lot of positive points for fibre, the only factor that I wonder makes a difference is if I bought brand new? I’d like to do that to avoid any problems - most of my life I’ve bought second hand and quite a few times it didn’t work out so well!

As for hardware in the office, I’ll have 2 x workstations and that’s about it for cable connections - and both don’t necessarily need a 10Gb connection. I will have wifi, but that’s only to printer, phones, laptops that don’t need more than 1Gb

@risk

Do see above, I might have some security cameras at some point (probably after a theft as is always the way!), but they’d only work on a 1Gb cable I’m guessing.

I can’t see anything other than 1 workstation and 1 server needing a 10Gb connection, if that helps to know.

Sorry that I’ve not been straight forward guys, and thanks again! :+1:

Check this for cable: https://www.fs.com/de-en/products/17770.html

If I were you, I’d grab a pair of css326, one for home, other for office and hook them up using said fiber (I’d actually use os2 and single mode transceivers, or a 4 core/8 core fiber)

Then, within home/office I’d do cat.6, except for workstation/nas which I’d attach to the other 10Gbps port.

Cameras, wifi access points, internet router, tv/media center, etc… would use copper ports of those switches, and there would be plenty of left over for an odd raspberry pi or a random project/printer/etc.

I wouldn’t bother with a cat6 for backup in a trench, if needed wifi could probably serve that purpose in a pinch.

Sure, you could save a few bucks and stick to what you know and go with cat6 all the way (if you’re considering going with cat6a instead of cat6, might as well do fiber, strands are super thick with that one, and much harder to work with). If I remember correctly, plain old cat6 can do 10Gig at 55m distance, and there’s these: https://mikrotik.com/product/s_rj10 which do various throughputs between 1 and 10 gbps depending on cable and distance – an option.

1 Like

Thank you risk!

That all sounds great, if I went with the Cat I would definitely do as you suggested and use cat 6 and not 6a - 55m is quite a bit over the longest run. I would like to avoid wifi if possible, much prefer the house having it’s own wifi and the office it’s own wifi too. If I ever could, i’d have those access points that play well with each other, Ubiquity I think they’re calls, but I’d probably end up cheapening out and going for a cheaper one if needed.

Thanks again risk for being so patient, really do appreciate it. :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.