[Solved] Ubuntu 22.04 on Asus WRX80E Sage not detecting USB and M.2

9/22/2022 Edit: We got another couple systems for a client with the same issue, and adding the following to /etc/default/grub has resolved it.

"pci=nommconf"

Edit: We ended up solving the issue by reverting to an older bios. I no longer have access to the system to give specifics unfortunately.

I am hoping to get help/guidance with issues I am having with Ubuntu on a Threadripper Pro system that does not occur on Fedora or Arch/Manjaro.

• 1 of the 3 M.2 SSDs stops being detected.
  • 7 of 13 USB ports drop power/connectivity while loading OS (2 type-a and 1 type-c on the front panel as well as 2 type-c and 4 type-a on the rear do not work).

The system is as follows:

AMD Threadripper Pro 3975WX
Asus WRX80E Sage Wifi
32GB ECC/Registered x4
WD Black SN850 2TB x3
Nvidia RTX 3090 (EVGA FTW3 Ultra)
1000W PSU (EVGA G6)

Output of ‘lspci -k’ from liveiso

00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse Root Complex
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Starship/Matisse Root Complex
00:00.2 IOMMU: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse IOMMU
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Starship/Matisse IOMMU
00:01.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
00:02.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
    DeviceName:  Onboard IGD
00:03.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
00:04.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
00:05.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
00:07.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
00:07.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse Internal PCIe GPP Bridge 0 to bus[E:B]
    Kernel driver in use: pcieport
00:08.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
00:08.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse Internal PCIe GPP Bridge 0 to bus[E:B]
    Kernel driver in use: pcieport
00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SMBus Controller (rev 61)
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. FCH SMBus Controller
    Kernel driver in use: piix4_smbus
    Kernel modules: i2c_piix4, sp5100_tco
00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH LPC Bridge (rev 51)
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. FCH LPC Bridge
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship Device 24; Function 0
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship Device 24; Function 1
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship Device 24; Function 2
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship Device 24; Function 3
    Kernel driver in use: k10temp
    Kernel modules: k10temp
00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship Device 24; Function 4
00:18.5 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship Device 24; Function 5
00:18.6 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship Device 24; Function 6
00:18.7 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship Device 24; Function 7
01:00.0 Non-Essential Instrumentation [1300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse PCIe Dummy Function
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Starship/Matisse PCIe Dummy Function
02:00.0 Non-Essential Instrumentation [1300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Star
1 Like

Can you post dmesg output from working vs non working district?

I think it’s the same issue as the post on “Sata drives invisible on Ubuntu”.

I had to upgrade to 1003 for a 5975wx build and ended up on Manjaro as you mentioend which sees all the missing USB, SATA, and NVME devices. I tried manually upgrading to latest kernel which also didn’t fix it.

1 Like

Signed up to let you guys know the solution I figured out for this, because there are basically three places online where this niche case is being discussed, this forum being one of them.

I’m not using any SATA drives, but the issues (that I was aware of) were USB slots (besides the top four) not working, and Wi-Fi and Bluetooth not working. For reference I am on Pop OS 22.04 LTS, but Ubuntu for all intents and purposes.

First thing I did, which may or may not be related, was to suppress the constant barrage of NVME related AER errors. I posted a service file which helps with that in the comment on this gist -
https:// gist. github. com/zekome/35db528b33206e68f18439ad7fabfcd5
(remove spaces from that link)

Secondly, and this is what I changed right before everything started working (however I had tried this before with no success, albeit in a different way, which is why I included the AER fix above), I made sure IOMMU was ON in the bios and added these boot options -

sudo kernelstub -a "amd-iommu=on"
sudo kernelstub -a "iommu=pt"

Also added this boot option to suppress another AER error that I was seeing relating to BadDLLP.

sudo kernelstub -a "pci=nommconf"

Explanation here - https:// unix. stackexchange. com/a/369090
(remove spaces from that link)

Hope that helps someone!

3 Likes

I know this is marked as solved, but I wanted to chime in with another potential solution.

I was having the same issue, certain USB ports not working, WiFi & Bluetooth not working, etc. Went down the rabbit hole of BIOS settings and ended up here. pci=nommconf did solve the issue, but it was really bothering me and I knew there was something weird going on with the PCIe bus that was causing the issue in the first place - so I started disabling as much as I could.

Turns out, it was a super simple solution - just took forever to figure out. Flip the physical VGA switch to off. That solved all the issues I was having and I no longer need the kernel flags in GRUB. USB Ports, Wifi & Bluetooth are all working with no more dmesg errors.

When I first built my machine, I used the onboard VGA adapter to connect to a monitor in order to install Ubuntu. Once I got Ubuntu installed, I installed my GPU, and I changed the BIOS setting BootBoot ConfigurationPrimary Display from Onboard VGA Header to Discrete graphics card. Turns out, this does not actually disable the onboard VGA header - so I’m assuming it was causing issues for other PCIe devices. In order to completely disable the onboard VGA, you need to flip the physical switch to off.

If you have a discrete GPU, you shouldn’t need the motherboard’s VGA anyway. The switch is located in the bottom right portion of the motherboard right above the VGA header.

Hope this helps.

4 Likes

This fixed my problem. Thanks a lot!

To see how to turn off the onboard VGA, see here:
https:// twitter. com/andrewpprice/status/1530387967378096128

(remove space from above string to get link)

1 Like

Wanted to add a huge THANKS for this, as it corrected my issues as well.

Excellent find and very much appreciated. @stevemg9

Came here to give my experience. This thread was very helpful. I found that once I disabled “Fast Boot” I no longer needed the pci=nommconf setting. That fixed it for me permanently. I hope this helps someone!

1 Like

I’ve been having the same issues with Proxmox (and Debian) not detecting the SATA drives.
Disabling ‘Fast Boot’ may / may not have helped (as the problem continued), but the switch for the onboard VGA seems to have fixed the issue. Cheers!

I created an account on this site just to say thank you for posting this. I was having such a hard time with the same issue and no one knew how to fix it. turning off that vga switch fixed it instantly. i was trying to run unraid and none of my sata drives were showing up to the OS even though they showed up in the list of detected drives during POST. thank you so much for taking the time to post this.

I created account too, to say thanks for the tip with onboard VGA.
I had little different issue, everything was working fine in Artix linux but no SATA drives in Void linux.
It helped, no issue for now with Artix and Void so huge thanks for that tip.

Signed up just to say thanks. I have been struggling with this problem for 2 days. I nearly had a meltdown twice. Putting the VGA switch to disabled fixed my problem immediately. Thanks so much!

I also just created an account to say thanks for this thread. Was troubleshooting an issue with USB devices not working on a new ASUS WRX80E with Ubuntu 22.04 and the following solved it:

sudo kernelstub -a "pci=nommconf"

Thanks a lot, y’all!

I was having USB and hard drive issues pci=nommconf also seemed to fix it for me. Thanks!