Solved - Stuck on 800x600 on 1080Ti IOMMU Win10VM

Hey Guys,

I’m trying to get my VM working but I hit a snag. I’m able to get my video output via the 1080Ti but its stuck on a resolution of 800 x 600 and as the video card it says windows standard video output. I just thought that it was a driver issue but was able to install the drivers without any problems. But the problem persisted. Then I made my windows partition into a virtual partition and used that to boot the VM with, knowing for sure the drivers worked. But I’m still having the same issue. Any guesses to why?

System specs: Fedora 27, virtmanager as the virtualizer. Ryzen 1800X AMD R460 as primary gpu and a 1080Ti as secondary.

Are you by chance running a monitor directly connected to the GPU or running remotely/headless?

I’m running a monitor on the 1080Ti which is capable of a resolution of 2560x1400

If you look in the nvidia control panel (not Geforce Expirence), are you missing any options there?

It’s not there, if I dual boot into windows its there, but in the converted image its not. But it lists the 1080Ti in the hardware list

When you look in Device Manager, does the 1080 Ti have a yellow ! triangle on it?

If it does, and you right click it and click properties, what is the status of the device?

Hmmm, it says

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

But I made sure to follow the instructions to not have this issue. It installed the drivers without any errors. What would be my next step?

This is the error Nvidia Drivers throw when they see they’re in a Hypervisor (Virtualized). You need to trick them into thinking they’re running on a normal machine.

I’m having the same issue with a GT 710.

See my thread for things I’ve tried (One of them may work for you, knowing my luck):

For you, it could be as simple as adding hv_vendor_id=null to your KVM configuration.

This was exactly what I did, apparently that didn’t work. I’m going to read the thread you just send and hope for the best I guess.

1 Like

I managed to get it working, I think I didnt do the

virsh define win10.xml

command correctly. I changed the settings as descriped here: Nvidia error 43 and ran the virsh define command again and it worked.

1 Like

I have a solution about boot GPU.
with this solution,you can remove your primary card.
and set bios output > pcie slot 1.
yeah gtx 1080ti shows bios and linux booting and vm booting and running normally

Why do you want to remove your primary GPU?

Hi i am very new Linux User since 4 days. I had the same problem. By default, some Nvidia drivers will actually disable your graphics card if it appears to be running in a VM.

Look for Solution please here:

and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsDUtzMkxFk&t=61s at Video on 13:05

Hope I could help, love this forum.

Thank you for reply.
3 reasons:
because many motherboards (i have a H110M) do not have 2 or more PCIE x16/x8/x4 slot.
when you have 2 PCIE x16 slots and want to launch 2 Gaming VMs(maybe 2 gtx1080), there is no slot for the weak primary card.
if I want to buy a Gaming PC,I will not buy a weak primary card additionally.