[Solved] Strange PC audio noise problem

Just as a sanity check for my testing: Does pulseaudio -k solve the problem (temporarily) for you?

1 Like

My sound was sounding like that for awhile but It turned out to be pulseaudio doing it. I wasn’t very frequent until I started using discord all the time, load discord and it would start doing it most of the time. Get discord open without it doing that then using youtube would make it do that.

1 Like

Interesting, do you have a permanent solution? At this point, I know it is pulseaudio and I think I know how to solve it but I want to find what exactly is causing it, so this doesn’t happen for anyone in the future.

Had to do with adding tsched=0 some where in the pulseaudio’s default.pa. I’ll look at what I did.

1 Like

Thanks! I’d appreciate that!

Edit:
I’m going to drop some links here for reference:

That first one was pretty much what I did and what I came up with what the problem was in the first place. I’m on manjaro so not sure on other distros. But under /etc/pulse/default.pa I added tsched=0 to…

load-module module-udev-detect
so it was
load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0

Haven’t had the problem once since then.
What the whole section looked like when I was done.

### Automatically load driver modules depending on the hardware available
.ifexists module-udev-detect.so
load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0
.else
### Use the static hardware detection module (for systems that lack udev suppor$
load-module module-detect
.endif

Was having the problem every once in awhile so I would just restart when it happened but I started using Discord all the time so I had to actually take the time to fix it.

1 Like

Thanks!

I already changed that line and will test if that solves it. Interestingly pulseaudio --cleanup-shm seems to also solve that problem but I have to verify that. It definitely has something to do with audio sync/timing …

3 Likes

I haven’t been home hardly at all this last week so I haven’t had to deal with the problem again yet, but I’ll put some music on and if it does it I’ll give it a shot.

Yup. That fixed it right up.

Before I did that I tried my USB audio adapter again, but for some reason Linux wasn’t picking it up this time.

Thanks!

It looks like there are two (permanent) solutions to the problem, the first one from @ sycpuppy:

the second one: run

pulseaudio --cleanup-shm
pulseaudio -k

however, this probably is not a long term solution (from reading what the command does)

I will keep testing and edit the thread in a week or so, when I have confirmed the problem is permanently solved.

Was it listed with the available audio devices or did it not get picked up at all?