[Solved] Strange PC audio noise problem

Solution at the bottom of this (original) post.

The Issue

Every now and then I get strange audio issues on my PC that makes the audio sound like you didn’t tune your radio right with an echo on top. Here is an example to download Yes, it really sounds like that. It randomly starts and gets worse over time. This time, as a first, it suddenly stopped on its own and the audio worked again like normal. The one thing that “fixes” the issue temporarily is to restart the PC. This works every time, reliably.

Hardware/Software

• PRIME x370-Pro Motherboard
  • some low end Logitec speakers with an internal amplifier where I can’t read the model number any more
  • Sennheiser m2 ieg momentum - in ear headphones
  • Philips 227E Monitor
  • fedora 28, Kernel 4.18.14-200
  • 16 GiB ram
  • AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • graphics: Radeon RX 560

Troubleshooting

• I usually have my Logitec speakers plugged into my rear IO panel, so thinking it could be a defective port I switch the cable over to the front panel.-> no change
  • Thinking my on-board audio is defective I plug the speakers into the back of my monitor which receives audio digitally over the HDMI cable. -> no change
  • Thinking my (two times repaired by me) Logitec speakers failed in a strange way I changed to my headphones. -> No change!?? wtf?
  • I have wiggled and unplugged/plugged-in-again every cable here. No dice.

In my mind there are only 2 possibilities left:

• Some kind of interference from somewhere that does not seem to correlate with anything and always stops (18+ times, repeatable) when I reboot my PC. Also what kind of interference creates an echo?
  • Some strange (software???) error that causes this issue on both the on-board analogue audio-out and the graphics cards digital audio-out. This just does not sound like a software error.

My next step is plugging in a cheap USB audio card to exclude some possible software issues. The problem is, the issue starts randomly and I probably have to wait a day for it to reappear. Also I’ll try to change the OS, maybe that solves it?

Does anyone have an idea? Thanks, in advance!

Solution

Credit to @sycpuppy and thanks to @Gnuuser and everyone else!

The issue did not repeat itself until now and I consider the problem solved.
The takeaway: Even if something looks like a hardware/analogue issue it can still be a software problem.

Thanks everyone :+1::sunglasses:

1 Like

after listening to the audio it sounds like theres some audio eq somewhere giving that reverb-ish echo. attempt to isolate the sound devices if you can use optical audio out to isolate everything might jsut be a odd electrical sound imo

2 Likes

Windows 10 works great with sound.

/s

Try playing around with a live session of another distro to confirm/deny your software bug theory. Maybe ubuntu?

2 Likes

okay, I’ll try optical
I just thought testing with audio via the digital HDMI link would exclude some problems, but some ground issue might explain it.

I’ll do that. It would be so weird if it is somehow software.

you still need a device to output too but i would recommend these i’ve used on my tv receiver to remove fuzz from the audio

1 Like

I already have a Toslink cable to my living room, just did not think of testing that yet. It’s a bit of a problem for testing that the issue only appears maybe once a day.

1 Like

Sounds like a bad connection or broken cable.
Might also be a cold solder joint in one of the devices.

1 Like

Do you mean on the motherboard? How would that degrade a digital signal in that way? Also how would that explain the same problem for two different speakers and on two different outputs (HDMI ->graphics card and onboard sound)
I just can’t find a reason that makes sense.

You are right. The fault would have to be with the soundchip.

Looking at the frequencies in your recording:

Freq. multiple of 60Hz
326Hz ~5.5
360Hz ~6
440Hz ~7.3
720Hz 12

Might be switching noise from a PSU.

1 Like

That’s an interesting approach I have not thought of yet.
However, I use a switch mode power supply and that is not how I would expect the output to behave. On the other hand a degrading filter cap could explain the strange behaviour but not really the frequencies.

In my case however of both the monitor and my on-board sound right? Maybe I am misunderstanding how sound on a system like this is distributed.

Thanks for the help by the way!

1 Like

Depends how the monitors are connected. When they get their signal analog (for example 3.5mm jack), then anything along the path can introduce noise.
When it is digital (USB, coax, optical, etc.), then it gets a bit more complicated.

One of these two (probably the yellow one):
Just confirmed, the yellow one is the audio chip.

I see, …
The monitor is connected only via HDMI. So the sound source is digital over the HDMI cable.

Just to get this right:
How is your system set up?

the only time i had an issue like that effect was after a software update screwed up amarok with a pulse audio driver.
simple fix to roll back the driver and deselect pulse audio.
but you could be getting a latent echo from both the speakers and the monitor,
transmission rates would differ between hdmi and analog or digital cables

1 Like

My setup is like so:
PC -------- HDMI-cable ------- monitor --------- analogue Audio cable------- speaker

(when I’m not directly using the rear IO panel)

thanks, I’ll try that

Can that really mess up audio in such a analogue-like fashion?

That means the monitor could be the culprit (and onboard sound from the mainboard does not do anything for the speakers as of right now).
Anything preventing you from connecting the speakers to the speaker port on the mainboard? That way the monitor is out of the equation. nevermind, need to read OP more carefully

1 Like

I have detailed my troubleshooting steps in the OP. I have tried:

Edit: I was just a hair too fast on clicking post.

1 Like

yes it was funny as hell too!
started a game and the stupid soundtrack sounded like a group of kids singing with the timing way:rofl: off

1 Like