[SOLVED] SPICE: converting virt-viewer client config to compatible looking-glass client config

I’m running PVE to manage my VM’s.
I have looking-glass working for VM to VM connection and now i’m trying to get the spice integration working for kb-mouse.

In PVE the spice client is virt-viewer. I am able to read the virt-viewer client config and wanted to understand how to convert that client config into something that looking-glass spice client will understand.

The spice params looking-glass has look to be somewhat simplified, ip:port and enabled.
In virt-viewer there is some authentication to take care of.

I’m not entirely sure what i’d need to do to get this to work. Or if it’s even possible, would appreciate any help.

Thanks

The LG client is using a simplified spice client called PureSpice which was written by the same developer who wrote LG. That client lacks encryption (and authentication) as it was designed with simplicity, speed and intra-machine only operation (only working on the same system as the server is). You’ll need to find out how to make PVE not use authentication/encryption in the spice arguments it sends qemu. The typical spice arguments that work for me (generated by libvirt) are:

-spice port=5900,addr=127.0.0.1,disable-ticketing=on,image-compression=off

This was super helpful, thanks! I ended up putting the IP of my PVE node in as I’m connecting from one guest to another.

In case anyone else is looking to do this, I manually edited the vm config /etc/pve/qemu-server/110.conf adding the relevant devices in args:

args: -device ivshmem-plain,memdev=ivshmem,bus=pcie.0 -object memory-backend-file,id=ivshmem,share=on,mem-path=/dev/shm/looking-glass,size=64M -spice port=5900,addr=192.168.1.9,disable-ticketing=on,image-compression=off -device virtio-serial-pci -device virtserialport,chardev=vdagent,name=com.redhat.spice.0 -chardev spicevmc,id=vdagent,name=vdagent

2 Likes