(Solved) Reference R9 290 heavily throttling

How do you fix a badly designed cooler on the ref 290? It's good advice :D

You take it off and replace it, maybe with... hmmm I don't know an Arctic Accelero Extreme 3 like he is planning?

But hey I just read the thread carefully...

All a new expensive card is over this is a better cooler anyway, so it a waste to get rid of the main functioning part to buy another of the same with a better cooler when that is all ready the plan! Swap the cooler, job some money saved.

There is also the talk about PSUs but I expect you missed that too, I mean it was in words, I don't know how to use words.

1 Like

That's not going to work that well, if anything hes better off getting an GPU bracket and putting an AIO on there, that would cool it down very well, as I did that with my old R9 290, it kept the temps below 60c on load. I read the thread carefully too, maybe you should have too. It has nothing to do with the PSU, I read that too. I don't know how you mean you don't know how to use words....?

What I mean is he has a solid plan, it will work.

Yes he can also use and AIO and bracket but the said he is strapped for cash and they are expensive. What he has proposed is the best solution to him and this specific situation. Yes there is better options, hell he could LN2 it if he liked but that is also extremely expensive. This solution caters for the needs and budget.

Sorry to be mean but it is in plain text right there.

How hot does the gpu exaly run, wenn you are playing these games?
Does it hit its thermal limit?

Because im not totaly sure if the gpu is exaly causing your issue.
It could also be something else.

k

1 Like

It ramps up to 94 degrees in 2-4 minutes, then it throttles to low 600-300mhz.. So yeah, it hits the thermal limit pretty quickly, even with the side panel off.

I figure it is a total package issue. The motherboard not being design for the usage. Small case with poor airflow. Highend gpu to boot in an already hot running system configuration. I have had similar config. with a 7870. It was a space heater. :)

1 Like

The system itself doesn't run very hot, only the GPU is. I have one intake fan on the lower front and one exhaust on top back. It's a mid-tower so yeah it's not really big.

Here is what i would do.....

1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139041&ignorebbr=1
  2. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130790
  3. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186095
  4. Just for example?
1 Like

VRM Cooling on that one sucks ass, also as I said I have no cash, shit this is as much or more as I paid the GPU alone.

No way ! You are going to fix the issues without spending some money. :) You know what you need to do first. ??? As long as you run that configuration, you will always have issues. As it stands your not even getting your moneys worth from your pc due to poor system design. I almost forgot about the poor ram choice also. CL needs to about 9, dual channel preferred. So two sticks at 2x4 or 2x8. 200 or 300 or so dollars will go along way in correcting your issues and realizing the full potential of your system.

1 Like

increase your fan speed? sorry i just read your op

weird, might want to open up the graphics card and see if you can replace the thermal pads(VRAM + VRM) plus thermal paste for the gpu. first thing i did when i got my cards (ref 290 also) i hold steady at around 65C at 71% fan speed, kinda noisy but better than throttling

2 Likes

That would void my warranty though. I could try it

If I had money I would've done this thing properly, turns out I didn't an I still don't have enough

You do not have very clean power.. I would suggest getting a better set of hardware.. if that does not fiix the issue.. RMA if you can.. if you cant.. take off the cooling unit and redo the thermal pads and paste.. see if that helps..

Warnings
Do not use diamonds Pastes on GPU dies due to exposed bare die
Do not use Artic Silver 5 due to capacitance IF you have a 24/7 system as enough charge could build up and cause instability
and as always
DO NOT Ever use a lot of pressure on stuff due to one miss can hit a diode or other parts of a chip and knock it off the board

2 Likes

hmm that doesnt sound very good indeed.
Probably the only fix is watercool it.

1 Like

This should sound stupid but, its a reference r9 290(hottest running gpu) in the summer season (hottest season DUH...), what is your ambient temp? try moving the system into an air condition room or something, if u have one!

1 Like

Ambient is around 25 degrees. Lately it's been cold due to the rain so it is around 20.

Watercool it or get the Arctic Accelero Extreme 3 somehow?