[SOLVED] Recommend me an ebook reader

Sup L1T!

I had a cheap ebook reader that has a dead battery and is pretty laggy so I was thinking of getting a new one. What do you guys recommend?

Couple of points:

• Preferably not kindle, since I don’t wanna support Amazon;
  • BW is a okay;
  • Needs to be able to read tons of formats (i have an older ebooks dump)
  • SD is a huge plus;
  • backlit screen is appreciated.
  • faster than 2 seconds for screen redraw;
  • no more than $200.

Idk if i asking for too much… Small form factor is also okay, probably even more desired. Oh and, good battery life would be cool.

And that’s about it. Planning to get one on my BD later this month, and probably take it on a trip.

Thanks!

2 Likes

The kobo aura 2 or clara is probably your best bet (both $120)

supports more formats than nook or kindle, no apps if you don’t want them (connects as mass storage) and good build quality

also works perfectly with calibre

3 Likes

I’ve had the pocketbook 626 lux 3 I believe was the name.

Edit - here is a link to the official site : https://www.pocketbook-int.com/ua/uk/products/pocketbook-touch-lux-3

Runs linux, supports tons of formats, made in EU(designed of course, manufactured in China ),supports microSD, the OS is on a separate SD card and you can easily swap it. Runs A13 single core arm processor. I am not sure but either 512 or 1 GB of RAM.
Price around 130€ in Bulgaria.

There is a new model that I was wondering if I should get myself. With dual core processor and also audio Jack so you can listen to audio books.
Edit 2 - this is the new model:

But the price in Ukraine seems to be almost double. Actually its the same as in Bulgaria.

2 Likes

I’m a huge Kobo fan. I love my Glo HD.

I like my Inkbook prime.
https://en.store.inkbook.eu/inkbook-prime

1 Like

I’ve got a Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight. It’s pretty alright for a simple ebook reader. Checks pretty much all of your requirements, and cheap when bought used.

Really liked the Clara HD because of orange backlight, but no SD card. Hnnng.

:thinking:

But again no SD card is kinda meh. But maybe it’s not as bad I as I think.

Just to clarify, I can just upload my own files on it right?

yep just use mass storage or calibre

1 Like

Couldn’t find an easy way to buy and/or ship a Kobo here.

PocketBook on the other hand:

The company was founded in 2007 in Kyiv, Ukraine.

@anon5644329 think I’ll go with PocketBook InkPad 3, wish it had water-resistance but oh well.

Yeah I had a problem finding anything other than kindle and pocketbook and a few chinese brands in Bulgaria when I was looking for my e-reader. It had a few nooks and a few kobo but they were older models at the time.

So I went with pocketbook.

So, it’s settled I am getting PocketBook InkPad 3. Was also looking at
PocketBook Aqua 2, but it’s worse overall, just with water protection.

1 Like

It’s here yo. And it’s a beaut.

1 Like