[SOLVED] Pop!_OS| Can't upgrade

I don’t have much to say… I haven’t upgraded in a while, because I haven’t been feeling too well mentally etc. Anyhow. I updated, got a message that I have a bunch of things to upgrade, started the upgrade and I’m dumbfounded. I haven’t given it much time to actually fix it, if it is even fixable. I’m thinking, maybe it can be fixed, or I have to reinstall the computer, and I’m not really into doing the latter at all.

Here’s the terminal output to the command; sudo apt ugrade
https://pastebin.com/YuN2gAL8

OFFTOPIC| Yes, I have noticed that it tells me to configure libmount, but my head is in a whole other place, and I barely have energy to watch a series on netflix atm.

I might have become malnourished also, so I have taken bloodworks and will get an answer to that soon I hope.

I don’t have a solution to your apt issue, but hope you get feeling better soon. If the blood work doesn’t give the answers you need, keep pushing until the doctors can provide you some relief.

2 Likes

It’s the i386 stuff that’s in strife. Maybe you use steam for gaming.

pop! OS is based on Ubuntu, so you should be running sudo apt full-upgrade.

A reinstall might be the quickest solution, if you don’t have much to set up. (My last full install took 10 minutes, followed by over a month setting up software.)

1 Like

Just to ask the very basic question: Did you do “sudo apt update” followed by “sudo apt upgrade” (or the equivalent with apt-get)?

If so, you might want to try using Pop!_Shop to do the update.

Best wishes, on this issue as well as your health.

1 Like

I should test that one.

That’s kind of the thing, there’s month’s of setting up stuff, if I had used Arch… Maybe hours because I spent a month or two on configuring an install script to my specifications, but there’s some problems with arch that I didn’t really like to fix, so I chose pop_os for the ease, but now I can’t even remember what things I have been changing etc, and I don’t know where I have all my files to backup. Why didn’t I make a bash script for Pop=? That would had made the whole thing much easier.

Well. At the moment, a reinstall is out of the question. I think it’s probably better if I buy a new m.2 nvme for the OS, and then go through the old one to figure out all the changes and write them down step by step. That way I can create a new script, that installs everything for me…

I always start with sudo apt update and then sudo apt ugprade or do a sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade.

As I’ve heard apt-get is old, and shouldn’t be used, but I could try to use apt-get instead of apt. Pop_shop was a good Idea, I only update through commandlines usually .

dpkg: error processing package libglib2.0-0:i386 (–configure):
dependency problems - leaving triggers unprocessed
No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already
dpkg: dependency problems prevent processing triggers for libglib2.0-0:i386:
libglib2.0-0:i386 depends on libmount1 (>= 2.35.2-7~); however:
Package libmount1:i386 is not configured yet.

sudo apt full-upgrade yielded the same results as any other upgrade command, and the pop!_shop basically crashed and then lagged till the application killed itself. I will have to do a reinstall, and I’m not really that super happy about that. "/

I think I will buy a new m.2 nvme of 2TB and use that as my main, and try to buy more of them over time, so that I have three of them installed in my computer.

I will try to figure out how to configure libmount1:i386, but if I am not capable of doing it, I’ll have to reinstall it. Maybe I’m going to go back to a plasma based system. While POP!_os Is really nice, it still doesn’t feel like home to me.

Did you try apt reinstall libmount?

Apt is just a front end for apt-get package. Sends commands to apt-get on the backend, but helps with easier interface/better commands interpreter, iirc

If you were to use straight apt-get, it would be sudo apt-get —reinstall libmount

But, neither may work with the 32 bit version, without specifying that specific version. If you only have them through/for steam, it might be easier to back up steam, purge it, apt autoremove then re-install steam?

Or does your system use 32 bit drivers?

1 Like

@Querzion I did some web search re this error, and it seems you are not alone in having this problem. I found the following post, with a proposed solution which one person says worked for them.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pop_os/comments/sz45yp/updater_error/

The suggested commands (I can’t vouch for the correctness):
$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
$ sudo apt --fix-broken install

Hope it helps.

2 Likes

Thanks! This worked. It passed 3% progress and is now at 25% so it’s probably the fix. I’m going to see if it’s working or just looping, since there’s some other problem present right now.

EDIT;
It looped a couple of three times and then proceeded. Thanks for the help!

1 Like