(solved) New AM5 build pcie bandwidth and connectivity problems

Hi everyone,
Sorry for the longer post but this is a little bit of a weirder problem scenario, I’m having unusual performance and stability/connectivity problems with a new AM5 build using a ryzen 7600 and asrock b650e pg riptide wifi. I have about 15 years experience using/building pc’s so no need to oversimplify with troubleshooting and asking questions. Problem summary:

New AM5 build hard reset while playing a game. I initially think it’s overclocking related most likely as system is overclocked (full specs below), but on pc restart the bluetooth device (amd/mediatek am5 rz608) is completely gone from windows - I can’t enable bluetooth and its gone from device manager. Wifi from the same card still works at this time strangely. I do a complete bluetooth driver reinstall and windows sfc scan to repair windows and after a few restarts, the bluetooth device shows up again.

I do more troubleshooting and I had earlier noticed my 3d application performance on this am5 build was slightly lower than expected by say ~1-3% reproducible which I had chalked up to driver differences or something else, but on further testing I run the 3d mark pcie feature test which shows only ~6.5gb/s bandwidth for the rtx 3070 on the top pcie5 slot. That’s like pcie 2.0 speeds. I test further with gpu-z etc and it seems my rtx 3070 on this system maxes out at pcie 4x4 connectivity on the top pcie5.0 rated slot.

Since I’ve had problems with the top pcie slot and also the wifi/bt chip - I believe the top pcie slot, and possibly also the wifi card are “wired” straight to the cpu. Is this a problem with cpu, or motherboard more likely? I am leaning towards cpu at this time, something in the silicon is having trouble interfacing with pcie connected devices? Or maybe even gpu/psu? I have a loaner used cpu/mobo/gpu coming from amazon so I should be able to completely swap every part and troubleshoot for sure, as well I’ll try to re-seat and reinstall the cpu/gpu, but would appreciate other’s thoughts on troubleshooting this. FYI I did eliminate overclock and problems persisted, I don’t believe its related to that. Also the system has passed extensive stability tests already with current overclock (occt, y-cruncher, memtest, testmem, 3dmark, aida64, etc.). NVME drives may be working at full performance, but I haven’t done extensive testing on them besides crystaldiskmark and 3dmark, which might be also be a bit slower than expected (esp 3dmark storage) but my drives are about 90% full so incomparable to most of the numbers i get on google/reviews.

Full system specs:
Ryzen 7600 PBO+200mhz (5.35ghz) fclk 2133 default core voltage ~1.4v , 1.265v soc
Thermalright peerless assassin dual 120 cooler (80-90c cpu hotspot synthetic tests, less in gaming/general work)
6400 cl30-37-37 oc DDR5 @1.38v (teamgroup delta rgb hynix m-die)
Asrock B650e pg riptide wifi

  • top pcie5 nvme slot has WD black SN850
  • top pcie5 full slot has RTX 3070
  • bottom pcie4x4 nvme slot has MSI spatium m470
  • all other expansion slots unpopulated
  • mobo has one usb-c, and one usb 3.whatever internal header filled from case
  • seasonic focus plus gold 850w

I have that same cpu and board. Is your bios up to date?

Have you done a DDU GPU driver clean up?

And are the chipset drivers current?

My issues went away with the current BIOS.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply and attention Zedicus.

Good news, I believe my problem was just a physical/electrical connection problem with my gpu causing system instability esp with certain 3d (gaming) loads. I took out the top nvme and gpu, compressed air cleaned the slots, wiped the gold-fingers/card connectors with alcohol, reinstalled the gpu and top nvme and system appears to be working as intended now.

Interestingly Wo Long fallen Dynasty was the only 3d game/application that actually crashed, every other game/program ran just fine through double digit hours of testing, including extended “stress-tests” like 3d mark, unigine.

Ill try to edit the title of the post to indicate solved if I can. 3070 now shows the appropriate ~27gb/s bandwidth, and performance/stability problems seem to be solved thus far knock-on-wood.