[SOLVED]Need HELP installing Wine 3.0 on LMDE3 :(

First of all hello this my first post… I think anyways.
I just spent the past day trying to run away from Windows. I’m a avid Overwatch player and I’ve have got tried tired Windows 10 ruining my gaming experience. Here is my dilemma with the new os.

dukeraider2@redqueen:~$ sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
[sudo] password for dukeraider2: 
dukeraider2@redqueen:~$ wget -nc ..../Release.key
File ‘Release.key’ already there; not retrieving.

dukeraider2@redqueen:~$ sudo apt-key add Release.key
OK
dukeraider2@redqueen:~$ sudo apt-add-repository ......winehq.org/wine-builds/debian/
dukeraider2@redqueen:~$ sudo apt-add-repository 'deb .....winehq.org/wine-builds/debian/ wheezy main'
dukeraider2@redqueen:~$ sudo apt-get update
Ign:1 ....debian.uchicago.edu/debian stretch InRelease                         
Hit:2 .....debian.uchicago.edu/debian stretch-updates InRelease                 
Hit:3 .....security.debian.org stretch/updates InRelease                        
Hit:4 .....debian.uchicago.edu/debian stretch Release                           
Get:5 .....winehq.org/wine-builds/debian stretch InRelease [4,700 B]        
Get:6 .....winehq.org/wine-builds/debian wheezy InRelease [4,705 B]         
Ign:7 .....packages.linuxmint.com cindy InRelease                               
Hit:8 .....packages.linuxmint.com cindy Release                                 
Get:10 ......winehq.org/wine-builds/debian stretch/main i386 Packages [41.8 kB]
Hit:11 ......deb-multimedia.org stretch InRelease                            
Get:12 ......winehq.org/wine-builds/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages [42.2 kB]
Get:14 .....winehq.org/wine-builds/debian wheezy/main amd64 Packages [42.2 kB]
Get:15 ......winehq.org/wine-builds/debian wheezy/main i386 Packages [41.7 kB]
Fetched 177 kB in 1s (132 kB/s)      
Reading package lists... Done
dukeraider2@redqueen:~$ sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-stable
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
**The following information may help to resolve the situation:**

**The following packages have unmet dependencies:**
 winehq-stable : Depends: wine-stable (= 3.0.3~wheezy)  _<=== wut dat is?!?_
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I know I’m doing it wrong but as to what I have no clue. Please Help

Hi, I’ve edited your post to encapsulate the terminal output in code blocks, for readability.

So winehq-stable is relying on certain packages that are not available. Apparently it’s asking for wine-stable, which I’m assuming is in the wine ppa that you added in the beginning.

Regarding your repo though, you’re adding the debian repo while using mint. This can definitely lead to problems. If a package wasn’t built for your distribution there’s no guarantee that it will work or install.

It’s worth noting that you’re unlikely to get a 100% perfect experience with Overwatch in Linux, I don’t have any experience with it, so I can’t say for sure, but Wine doesn’t provide a perfect experience…

I don’t want to dissuade you, but just temper your expectations. Another thing to note is that people have been banned from Destiny 2 for using it on Linux/wine, so you may want to check into this for Overwatch before proceeding.

Thank you for that. to my knowledge which admittedly is slim on the matter LMDE is Debian based was I wrong is installing for the non Ubuntu repo?

I don’t believe PPA’s are allowed in LMDE. should i install wine from the software manager first then wine 3.0?

as far as I know the only issue is the shader cache issue I play warm up games anyway so that should not be a big deal. windows updates and notifications has cost a few games already.

As far as actiblizz I’ll ask the support team if it’s a biggie. If it is I get a free key for it next month anyways lol I’ll just Linux game with that! Till I get banned or actiblizz decides such gross action are PR they don’t need. Either way things wont change for gaming on Linux if the devs don’t see the demand.

1 Like

Hmm, it might be fine. I don’t have much experience with Mint itself.

When I said PPA, I meant the third party repository. You should check to see if it’s available in the package manager and what repo it’s pulling it down from. I’m really not sure why it’s not available.

Was there a specific guide you followed for this?

I’ll say it once, use anything but mint.

If thats impossible, do the better option for you and go to https://lutris.net and grab that app and setup just about any prefix you want.

2 Likes

Yeah, lutris is probably easier.

1 Like

thanks for the clarification in the mean time I’m going Timeshift back before this install wine in the software man and try again.

I used winehq.org official Wiki

Lutris requires wine as a prereq I belive. Lutris is the end goal but i need wine 3.0 for it to be worth any good.

Uh no it doesn’t. It downloads individual wine executeables.

PoL however does.

Just try it you’ll like it tm

Thanks for that Aremis, how do i install and run the battle net app without wine before hand? I don’t see battle.net as a selection in Lutris.

this is what i’m following atm
Guide: how to install battle net with Wine

Does Lutris allow installation of non configured apps?

1 Like

You don’t install battle.net specifically, but the games individually have prefixes. Since each engine is vastly different its hard to have a general setup for each one.

1 Like

Yes, you’d create a new entry for it, configure the runner and you’re off to the races.

1 Like

Speaking of which I’m rebuying my wow sub tonight.

Thanks op.

1 Like

I’ll give it all a try! I’ll keep you posted

1 Like

Been tempted to lately too… Just don’t have the time to put into it…

1 Like

Ok I think i got it I Timeshifted LMDE 3 back to an OG state (gawd i love this utility!)

installed:
WINE 1.0 from “store” (for some reason it’s not updated to latest)
Lutris
DXVK
updated to Nvidia driver 396.54

Now all a have to do is:
update WINE to 3.0 <== i was trying to install “weezy distro” I should have been using “stretch distro”
install WINEtricks
that should allow me to run an install.exe natively with no issues

One quick question, does wine 3.0 prefers WINE 1.0 to be present aka any dependencies or should WINE 3.0 be installed with no WINE 1.0 present? (uninstall WINE 1.0 first)

All works fine now, Lutris works well thanks for your help!

1 Like

Glad to see that you are all good to go OP. Have fun!

I’ll add the [SOLVED] text to the title.