[SOLVED] Mac Pro Black Screen (Mid-2010)

Hey guys, if you can help me out that'd be awesome! I work at a tech shop, and got a check-in of a Mac Pro (2010 model) with the issue of not turning on. I have replaced the RAM, the video card (the customer installed a GTX 750Ti, but I had him bring in the original), and nothing will post on the screen. So possibly a bad motherboard. Any suggestions for this would be great, but I just want to cover all of my bases before I tell him that the motherboard is bad. Thanks in advance!

• AK

EDIT: I'm assuming that @wendell would know an awful lot about this!!

reset the pram? there is a button o n the motherboard that resets something IIRc. replace the coin cell battery just in case

2 Likes

Isn't it awful when you completely forget about the simple fixes? sigh

Good luck to you @AK_Encryptor .

1 Like

Thanks @wendell (even more awesome that you responded to this!), I'm currently at home, but I'll try to find that switch, I've done a lot of PRAM resets, but strangely enough it still has the same issue....

• AK

Right, though unfortunately so far I have tried the "simple fixes" in my mind, but that could be due to my brain being burned out.

• AK

It's all good. I always forget the "unplug it them plug it back in" when troubleshooting my car. You'd be surprised what can be fixed by just disconnecting and reconnecting the battery after I've spent 6 hours reading through the Chilton's guide and various forums.

1 Like

Well bad news everyone, it seems like the motherboard is dead, replacing the CMOS battery, hitting the reset button, replacing the video cards, nothing boots it up, so the thread can be closed, marked as solved, etc. Unless someone has another suggestion, I'm just sure that since no video slot works, the motherboard fried the PCI lanes. Thanks for all the help though guys!

• AK