[Solved] Linux is unstable ever since I upgraded to Ryzen

Did you manage to sort your problem out? Was it just the WiFi card?

Looks like it. OP hasn’t posted in a day.

Biggest face-desk moment ever :smiley:

Yep. It was the WiFi card. Derp.
Lesson learned: make sure you check everything rather than just assuming.

3 Likes

Lesson learned for sure. Oh well, live and learn.

OP, mark this as solved! :slight_smile:

Done.

So if I understand your original problem it was the WIFI card that was causing all the problems in the first place?

It appears so.

1 Like

Can you report your problem so it has a chance to be fixed in the future ?

It been so long it I almost feel as relieved as i would be fixing my system…

Hello Guys,
I am planning to build a ryzen system but what I have seen here:

https://community.amd.com/thread/215773?start=0&tstart=0

and here:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Ryzen-Test-Stress-Run

disturbed me a bit. Basically compiling issues!!!

Have some questions:
1-) Any body with openSUSE tumbleweed + ryzen 7 cpu + ASUS Crosshair 6 Hero had any issue?
2-) May be AMDs compiler can solve the gcc issues? (Never used it)
3-) How likely the BIOS updates can solve linux issues?

Thanks…

Typically, you’d create a new thread for this, since the original poster’s thread has been marked as solved.

That said, let’s see if I can help you. (I don’t have a Ryzen CPU, though I have been following them closely)

As far as the instability in compiling goes, it appears to be an ASLR issue. Many people have reported stability when disabling it.

So let me report my findings:

If you are using GCC version 5.x or lower you will have problems.
If you are using kernel 4.10 or lower, you will have problems.
If you don’t have the latest BIOS, you will have problems.
If the ram configuration (voltage and timing) is incorrectly set, you will have problems.

Is there a way to check if your PSU should be fine or not? I’m having these soft lockup issues but haven’t tried the nouveau.modset=0 yet. I am using a Corsair 450w 80plus PSU.

It’s just a 65 watt 1700 and a passive Nvidia graphics card, so it’s not like I’m pushing the wattage hard. However I am hitting the CPU quite hard with a lot of KVM guests that sometimes do a lot of computing tasks.

I’ve had tons of soft lockups. Not using nouveau, and my power supply is good (EVGA 850 G3). I think my issue is power delivery - i have a MSI B350 PC MATE. Waiting for a better motherboard now. So that’s something to consider.

I’m pretty sure @tgui and I have resolved this issue by compiling the 4.13 kernel from source with a slight tweak in the options. I applied the change today whilst @tgui applied it 3 days ago, and neither of us havet had a crash since.

2 Likes

“Someone online/else” here :wink: We haunt the same places. I’m still doing great at almost 4 days of beating on my server. Y’all can trust my provided files. I’m too lazy to do anything nefarious.

1 Like

hey tgui, I never asked you what you would like to be referred to as. On my blog, I just put your disqus name of First Last. Would you like me to put your real name or another pseudonym? You deserve most of the credit.

Tgui would be good to use. I really didn’t think much about “First Last” until now… and its kinda silly. I more just interested in getting our damn machines stable!

1 Like

aye, spread the word.
My server has never lasted anywhere near this long before. Still no crashes since installed the kernel. Pretty sure its sorted.

I have been having problems with linux for months and have read and tried a million things. When I got to your wireless card… I’m going to smash that thing into a million pieces if it is the problem.