[SOLVED] LG V30 vs Google Pixel 2 XL need help making my decision

I am due an upgrade on verizon and am looking at the Pixel 2 XL and V30. I heard the displays aren’t the best even though they are OLED. I have looked at how I might need expandable storage for photos and music/videos. Though the pixel has unlimited google photos storage without shrinking the res of pictures and videos. Which would help with the expandable storage front.

Which do you prefer between the toss up of a QUAD DAC on the V30 and the stereo front firing speakers of the Pixel?

Which is better for media consumption and which is better with pictures and video taking?

From the tests online ( not personal ) -
Headphones audio - V30
Speakers - Pixel
Camera auto (photo and video) - Pixel ( should be noted really good dynamic range )
Camera manual - maybe V30
UI - Pixel ( V30 has LG custom skin which is reported that makes the phone look slow even though it’s not )

So in the end the Pixel is overall better for media but personally just because of the headphone jack and the option for expandable storage I would buy V30 in this case however as I said the Pixel is overall better.

What do you think about the Note 8 or even the cheaper than all of those S8 ?

The s8 and note 8 are what I would prefer, but they also don’t offer 300 dollars off atm. So I am looking at what is on sale. I don’t use my camera besides at birthday partys and the like. I use my phone for youtube and netflix a lot throughout the day. When traveling I do use earbuds, when at home I just use the onboard speakers.

AMOLED vs POLED is my new main question.

Google Pixel. V30 will lose its rootability soon and the pixel never will.

1 Like

You wont have any issues with storage, base on the pixel is 64, and 128gb.

You get 3 years of the ogironal quality uploads at no cost to storage. If you plan to have the phone longer than that and thats something you want to keep you might think about the origonal pixel, but then you lose our on google sourced updates after a few more years on the origonal pixel.

I’ve had bad luck with LG phones, so not sure id personally recommend them.

the Pixel 2 is by HTC and Pixel 2 XL by LG. the HTC U11+ for what its worth is apparently what the Pixel 2 XL would have been.

Do you recommend the base pixel over the xl? I am just wondering because from my understanding the base has a lower res but offering better colors display over the xl. I am interested in VR so google day dream might benefit by a higher pixel density?

pixel over v30, because of software.

base is made by htc, larger one is made by lg, I’ve had better luck with htc made nexuses in the past.

Go Pixel. You will have upgrades and good pictures, which it’s not guaranteed on the V30. And personally I would not recommend the S8, because even if phone looks good and is cheaper, Samsung is a bitch when it comes to updates. Plus at least the V30 with the Oreo update will get the Treble support, which would be easy for you to just flash the latest AOSP, while the S8 will not.

And Brandon at LTT made a really good comparison for picture quality between the Pixel 2, V30, iPhone8 and S8

Pixel no contest, it’s so much smoother than the V30 and a much better camera.

fyi, Verizon discontinued their free upgrade thing with a 2 year contract; if your upgrade is just expiring, this might be your first experience since they have.

I personally think the LG 5 is the best bang for your buck. For about $200 in this world of paying full price for your smartphones. Removable battery, expandable storage, decent screen; not absurdly big, durable usb type c connector (in my experiance the battery or the connector are the first things to go). this case also makes swapping the battery a breeze, and it overhangs the screen a little, so should protect the screen if it drops onto a flat surface screen first https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F42LKXO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

also you can get it from a third party like best buy and it will have a fraction of the bloatware.

Get a high-end tablet, move phone to an online service like voip or similar

They still have semi subsidized phones, right now on a two year contract they are offering 300 dollars off of both the v30 and pixel 2.

FIY I ended up going with the pixel 2 non xl variant. It was 18bucks per month for a 128gb model. It also wont suffer from the blue tint when tilted. So this is solved.

1 Like