[SOLVED] iPhone - Which of these is best (I don't do Apple personally)

Hello all,

Just a quick question, wife has been doing really well during this virus stuff and wanted to say thanks by buying a replacement for her iPhone 5 (16 or 32GB) that she’s had since new.

I don’t have a clue about iPhones, does anyone know which is probably generally the best for her? I think it might help her to have a little more storage memory. I don’t know if the 8 is better enough to warrant the extra cost, or if the 7 is pretty much as good as the more expensive ones.

Her normal use is the occasional long email that she should have done on the laptop I gave her! She takes pictures, but she’s been alright with the 5’s quality (even though to me it’s terrible). Oh, she even uses it for phone calls as well :slight_smile: Never answers my calls of course :frowning:

Thanks and apologies for broaching this subject, it’s my least favourite!

Chris

• 7, with 128GB RAM - £349
  • 6S Plus 128GB - £400
  • “SE” 64GB - £419
  • “SE” 128GB - £419
  • 8 Plus 64GB - £439

0 voters

128 Se for the same price as a 64gb one? and 4 years of updates+support? Sounds good, if you can live with a tine (phone)

1 Like

I’m still using SE v1 and am pretty happy with it.

It’s about to have the government tracing app installed though, so gonna destroy it with a brick / hammer after pandemic though.

Shame, done me proud.

1 Like

What I would also consider is an iPhone XR refurbished by a reputable company. I think it would feel just as fast as the SE, but have a better screen, way better battery life and be more modern overall.

2 Likes

Oh sorry, typo, it’s £469 and I can’t amend the post now :frowning:

1 Like

Cheers for that. I’d email you a hammer if I could :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cheers for that :+1: I was tempted to buy a refurb, but I really like the idea of not trying to find a trustworthy one - it’s a lot of money to me, so I wanted to buy from somewhere that I know will sort things out if it goes bang! That XR sounds superb though, thanks!

1 Like

You’re welcome! I’m of the same advice to always try and buy new because I keep all my tech as long as possible. But I’ve been thinking more and more about refurbed devices, especially Apples ones since they’re very costly.

1 Like

I have the 128GB SE. It’s great.

1 Like

Yeah, it seems the more time goes buy combined with the refurb option, normally ends up biting me in the bum! Has to be said, she’s kept the last phone for so long, new is probably the best route.

Thank you!

Well I reckon I’ve decided, I’m going with the SE 64GB, only because I can’t stomach the higher priced 128GB model - way too close to £500.

Any more comments are welcome, but thanks to @noenken @MetalizeYourBrain @Trooper_ish

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Does she prefer smaller phones? If yes then get the new SE. there is no other answer.

1 Like

I got the smallest SE v1, and the 16gb it comes with isn’t really enough for me; no sd card slot either.
If you don’t download video locally, 64gb should be okay

Re-read the OP, storage is not an issue

1 Like

Thank you all the same :+1:

1 Like

I think she’s used to a smaller phone and has small hands to match!

Since security updates become especially important for someone who is keeping a phone for many years, I would definitely pick the SE2 over any of the other choices.

The rough rule of thumb for iPhones is that they are supported for for about 5 years from release. This is more specifically tracking the processor of the phone, so phones released with preexisting CPUs (5c, SE, SE2) are expected to lose support along with the predecessor they share a processor with (5, 6s, 11 respectively). Were I in your position, I would be thinking in terms of cost over the supported lifetime of the device:

Lifetime annual cost Support Device
96.69 GBP/year 4⅓ years SE2 64 GB
108.23 GBP/year 4⅓ years SE2 128 GB
188.14 GBP/year 2⅓ years 8+ 64 GB
261.75 GBP/year 1⅓ years 7 128 GB
1200 GBP/year ⅓ years 6s+ 128 GB

There is a rumour of Apple not dropping any devices with iOS 14, which would make the 6s a “more” reasonable 300 GBP/year, but I would not rely on that.

4 Likes

I can’t see Apple extending support a lot, as they go for repeat customers, rather than growth.

The cost/ year is exactly what I did before getting mine though, so kudos for that!

They already kind of have. There is zero need to support phones for 5 years. No one else does.

I also remember them in a keynote a couple of years ago specifically pointing out wanting people to own their phone for longer.

Wow, thank you very much for that in depth analysis, really is helpful to see the overview and beyond the aesthetics and other factors I’m personally not interested in. That is an excellent way to look at it, thank you so much for taking the time :+1: :clap: