[SOLVED] Interesting SSD behaviour (action decided already)

I thought I’d share, in case of interest.

So in Feb 2020 I bought my sister a new SSD (Crucial BX500 480GB) and fitted a very old GPU (GTX560 Ti) I had laying around.

A month ago it was acting up, very slow to respond in Win10. I mucked around trying to find the reason for the 100% continuous disk usage. Looked through logs and active processes, etc., assuming it was a programme conflict.

I then plugged the drive into a separate machine (via USB) and it continued with it’s 100% usage, even in a separate machine. At that point I figured the SSD was the issue, I also fired up the original machine with the original SSD that had Win7 installed on it - booted up as quickly as you’d expect.

So I’ve started and RMA with Crucial, in the meantime I’m doing a Macrium Reflect backup (sticking what I know works). It shows a further example that it’s not working right - estimated time to completion is 30-60 hours, instead of the usual 2-4 hours.

Here’s the SMART report…which took ages!

Damn, a year and a half and it went through 62% of its R/W

I was a bit shocked by that - wondering if the error was causing that, as we’re talking about an average family that normally stored the bulk of their data on a secondary drive!

Not quite that bad - it went through 38% of its R/W (62% remaining). Still, that is a LOT of write cycles.

Is TRIM working on this machine?

I don’t think it was. Good point though, I’m going to check before the RMA.

Little update, new SSD arrived, Macrium reflect’d image I just about managed to do (took 30 hours instead of 2-3) was applied to replacement drive. All is as normal. Interesting though - the new drive had Win10 pre-installed…hmm.

They’ve got an i5-4690K build, I built for them many years ago, still going strong…other than other parts going wrong!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.