(SOLVED) Installing Linux on an M.2 SSD

So, it still won't boot.

Secure Boot was disabled already.
There is this weird function in the BIOS I've never seen before that appears as the following:
Settings\Advanced\Windows OS Configuration
Windows 8.1/10 WHQL Support - Disabled
Windows 7 Installation - Enabled

MSI Fast Boot - Disabled
Fast Boot - Disabled

> Internal GOP Configuration
> Secure Boot

That's the entire menu. It appears that Windows 7 Installation was enabled while I was installing Arch. I can't imagine that would cause an issue, but I am not sure.

I presume that's a driver type of thing for installation because the info box for the Windows 7 Installation says the following:

Only for Windows 7 installation process.

The Windows 8.1/10 WHQL Support has the following for it's info box:

Enables the supports for Windows 8.1/10 or disables for other operating Systems.

Gonna try updating the BIOS after I try and disable both those Windows options and see if that makes it work. It's just confusing to me because the SSD doesn't appear in the boot options at all. It appears as being installed though in the BIOS. Though I guess that makes sense.

If I disable both Windows options, Secure Boot disappears entirely. That's a bit confusing because it implies Secure Boot is on even when it says "disabled" to me if it appears like that. Though I guess it also makes sense that it would only be usable when you were intending to boot Windows in general.

I can't seem to find the place where I would re-order the HDDs boot order themselves. Like, not "boot USB HDD -> UEFI HDD -> Legacy HDD" but where I say "use M.2 SSD as UEFI HDD instead of Seagate 2TB HDD".

Can you see the M.2 in Windows? Not sure if it has been asked.

1 Like

I cannot because I don't have Windows installed on this machine.

The M.2 Shows up fine in the BIOS under Legacy HDDs, but won't appear when using exclusively UEFI. There isn't a UEFI Hard Drive BBS Priorities menu like there is in this guy's case:

I'll just reinstall and use MBR with BIOS. :/ This is a strange issue honestly.

Does the Linux installer see it?

I may know the issue now.

1 Like

Have you looked for firmware upaates? Looking at the MSI site, they've got a few BIOS updates that may be relevant.

I would have a look at that.

EDIT: bios update link: https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170A-PC-MATE.html#down-bios

Also when you installed linux did you create a /boo/efi partition with fat file32 system. If not you need to. 500MB should be more than plenty space for it.

@Adobe_Flash_Player

Yes. I've already successfully installed Arch on the device. It's booting that's the issue since it's not seen and Grub won't come up.

@SgtAwesomesauce

I have, but finding a USB that would work is difficult atm. I'd have to wait until Monday as this is a work PC, and 3 day weekend.

I have three USBs, one with Easy2Boot, and two others that are essentially broken. Windows can't access the devices. I need to get into Linux to format them as I feel like I'd have more success with that.

Interestingly, one of them is currently formatted as FAT12, since I needed it for a much older (2007) BIOS update. The other can't be accessed at all.

I'll definitely update the BIOS, but I was hoping for a solution before leaving today. It seems I won't be able to do that.

Look at the post above your own I bet that is the issue.

1 Like

Yes, I created a FAT32 EFI system partition on the M.2 SSD as the first partition. It is around 600MB big, and was mounted at /mnt/boot when I installed Arch (meaning, once in the OS and not the installer, it will be mounted on /boot).

I've installed Arch a lot (at least 10 times). That's not the issue.

I believe my issue is that no drives are listed if I use UEFI only, but both my drives are listed if I use Legacy + UEFI in my Motherboard's UEFI Firmware. So hopefully an update will fix that, but it'll have to wait.

Given what you've said, It leads me to believe that you're having an issue with the UEFI Firmware. I wish I had better news for you, but that's about the best I can give now.

I've never mounted an ESP on /boot before. Will that work? (the FHS standard is to mount /boot as linux fs and do the fat32 ESP on /boot/efi)

1 Like

Yeah you want /boot/efi as fat32.

Hmmm freaking crazy the Mobo has to be the issue here.

1 Like

MSI has always been a bit wonky with their software. Their hardware is pretty good, but their software leaves something to be desired.

1 Like

I've always just followed the Wiki.

instead of a separate /boot partition

I don't think that's talking about /boot/EFI so I don't know why the Arch Wiki doesn't mention that.

I've never had issues using /boot as the ESP directly. Using Grub's process for installation, it creates a EFI partition within /boot and puts the files there. But /boot is where the ESP is mounted directly.

Yeah, I'm seeing that software issue. MSI makes me go ".... eeeh?" a lot. Between this issue, their FAQ for this motherboard being all broken English, and their seemingly out-of-touch relationship with their customers, I think I won't be buying anything else MSI.

Aaaaah. I don't use EFISTUB. I've always preferred to use full grub, mainly because I spend half my time compiling different kernels and trying different features.

ASUS has the same problem sometimes though. my p8z77 has some odd options for "classical BIOS to enable" or something. Maybe I get to listen to some Beethoven while selecting a kernel. :P

I wouldn't go that far. I would just not buy brand new things from them. If you're looking for good Linux support, go Supermicro. maybe a bit more expensive, but the server-grade board is nice to have.

1 Like

ASRock is on the cheap side if you are looking for Linux Support.

They were and still are a server board maker.

1 Like

Oh, totally forgot about them. My company uses all Supermicro products because of the kickass support and decent pricing. (although, I keep forgetting how expensive it is to get a 2670 new, after browsing this forum)

EDIT: Like seriously. If someone is selling a 2670 for $100, jump on that shit. We buy them for about $1200 a pop. ($900 was the 2650)

2 Likes

@SgtAwesomesauce

Yeah, I'm currently using an ASUS motherboard no my PC at home. It has not been fun dual booting. Not fun at all.

@Adobe_Flash_Player

Yes, I have owned a SuperMicro server board and have worked on an ASRock server board at work. I like them both quite a bit. Quality was never an issue.

My personal/home Arch Linux server is on that SuperMicro server board. Can I just say, as a home machine, IPMI is nice to have.

1 Like

ASUS likes to automatically reorder itself so that the windows boot manager thing is the first option. "Oh, I see you've got a windows partition, let's make that the first option" NO YOU BASTARD, THATS FOR MY VM! Seriously, haven't they heard of block device passthrough?

EDIT: Every time I see ASUS, I feel like I have to scream it. Mildly annoying.

1 Like

Oh, definitely. The general "non-standardization" regarding UEFI is infuriating.

When I installed Arch the first time, I did so on a separate drive from my Windows install. I removed all other drives as a safety measure since I knew I was still learning and didn't want to nuke my other OS installation. I had read Grub is smart enough to work itself around a Windows UEFI boot manager, so I figured it would give me the option to choose later.

After spending longer than I'd like to admit installing Arch, I plugged in all my drives.

Boom. No Windows Boot Manager.

After a lot of research (literally days), I found out that some Motherboard manufacturers delete UEFI boot options if the system boots without the device. i.e. if my Windows HDD isn't in the system, it deletes the entry in the UEFI for the boot manager.

It isn't smart enough to add it back. So since I didn't know how to edit the UEFI from the EFI shell, or how to fix it using my Arch install, I had to reinstall Windows.

The thing is, I didn't find out that information (that it deletes the UEFI entry if the disk isn't found) until I repeated the installation process for Windows and Arch a couple times.

Literally a couple weeks without a PC.

But.... hey, now I know how to install Arch without much issue.

... until situations like this thread happen.

I honestly am probably going to give up on UEFI in general from now on. Using BtrFS and subvolumes should alleviate my partition separation preferences and allow me to use BIOS/GPT.

1 Like

Yeah, I've got Windows in a VM, but that's it. I'm done with windows on bare metal. It's too rage inducing when dual booting. It literally nuked my solus partition a month ago. Not sure why.

BIOS/GPT is the best option if you can use it.

On the BTRFS note, did you sort out your other thread about the raid1 situation? I responded with a solution for removing /dev/sdb if that's what you were aiming to do.