SOLVED How to run Visual studio under Linux?

The problem is that Visual Studio is pretty much integrated into the Windows Eco system the same way pure Linux software is integrated into the Linux eco system.

There’s probably a way to run it natively, but it’s going to be a lot of work.
You can try running it in Wine and see what Wine throws in your face, start debugging and fixing from there if that’s what you want. But it’s going to be a lot of work I imagine.

I already start with wine and get error from the installer. debugging it will be probably next step, if I found nothing to help. But I can not use VS debugger that is in many ways better than everything under linux :frowning:

winehq has it at “garbage” except for the 2010 free version

dtrace stomps this thing’s shit in, no offense.

oh never heard about that, does it have a GUI?

it’s a live, pointerless debugger for any language/software:

https://www.joyent.com/dtrace

it’s an entire framework developed around the core concept of flexible debugging on production code in realtime.

thank you I will take a look at it, looks powerful even without GUI :slight_smile:
So is there a way to use “*.vcxproj” under linux? just to keep them up to date without manual text editing them.
If there is good debugger under linux, maybe I will try it even without VS :slight_smile:

I honestly have no idea, as I’ve never used Visual studio and had to port, but any cross-platform IDE that accepts vs projects in windows should in linux as well.

I think only VS use this format :frowning:

maybe try to export to something more universal in VS

Do not think that would be an option, because others using VS still need them.
They have less problems with Windows than me :frowning:

Maybe it’s too much tinkering, but if you can, you could try the Wendell’s guide for emulating Windows so its almost bare metal performance? Like the one he did with Linus.

1 Like

you mean part “Gaming on Ubuntu Linux with a VM”?
or did I missed something?

NetBeans sucks as it has no hidpi scaling. Looks terrible in 4k. Also, only works with Java 8.

Also, my experience with c/c++ in vscode had been great. They have linters and auto complete, and a debugger. Unless someone needed a niche feature in the full blown version.

VS Code worked well enough for C dev. It has same visual front-end for debug as VS proper. What features are you missing? There are tons of plugins.

Does not work with sln and vcxproj files?
Just try it on windows installed about 10 plugins for c/c++ and syntax highlight was missing.
Does not recognize ‘"’ as single character, but ‘\ is white and "’ is colored as string.
Compared to resharper it is much slower, and do not use even single CPU core for file analysis.

That it does not recognize, yeah. It’s not an IDE, it’s an editor.

As for everything else:

I installed this one, but even on pictures on link you post the syntax highlight is missing :frowning:

it highlights the keywords and literals. If that’s not enough for you I can’t help you, since I didn’t use it that much.

1 Like

The thing that strikes me is the 1950x but not being able to get a copy of windows.

I understand windows is slower than Linux but if you are using it for only a few specific things you can pear windows down to be pretty lean compared to a standard install and many little tweaks to make it fast and responsive.

It would seem to me that the times saved with a “faster” Linux install is negated by the amount of trouble shooting and alternative finding needed.

Just use windows. Or a VM.

1 Like