[SOLVED] How to remove network gear without damaging it?

Hello all,

Just a quickie, but I’m taking this network gear out of a liquidated company. I’d prefer not to just snip all the outgoing grey cat cables, in case the next company wants to use the existing cable runs to various rooms - can I safely just pull the individual coloured strands out the back of the bracket/terminal?

I have looked on the internet, but people only show how to wire them up and not remove! Sorry about this and thanks in advance!

Thanks!

yes you can and when they re punch them down it will be ok (not great if they dont make sure the old punch down spot is before the new one but not very likely)

If you want just cut them close the the punchdown and it will save as much cable length as possible. but honestly patch pannels are pretty cheap might be easier to just detach it from the rack and leave the patches.

Thank you for that, really kind to reply to quickly! :+1:

Thanks again, it’s done and out! Not sure what I’m going to do with it, bit over kill for a home network I’m guessing! One box has POE which will come in use for the new wifi access points I want to buy when money permits!

1 Like

top little switch might have sfp+ allowing you to have some 10gbe ports

1 Like

That’ll be superb as I wanted 10gbe at some point :slight_smile:

I did take a quick look at the spec and it might be sfp but without the +, I guess it’s old if it doesn’t have the plus, but still worth it hopefully!

Yeah those are sfp, 1g, not 10g

1 Like

Awww, thats a bit sad. Oh well, delays more expense when the time comes!

Thank you for getting the manual for me, very kind :+1:

No problem.

One thing to note when you do want to really start moving data in the future, is that used 40g qsfp+ nics are starting to really come down in price, getting close to 10g sfp+.

I’ve had a bottom barrel budget sfp+ setup for years now and it’s been great, but with things like nvme drives even I can saturate it for some things (in my case I’m not hitting that limit enough to matter yet though). So it’s something to consider jumping straight to in the future. The downside is there are not nice affordable switches for qsfp+ like there are for sfp+ (MikroTik and ubiquity), and the old enterprise ones that all available on eBay have just a few ports and burn energy, or have lots of ports and burn money and energy. So you’ll likely be using them nic to nic or round robin.

Sure you can sorta sometimes split the 40g into 4x 10g depending on the workload and equipment special sauce, but then you’re dealing with network administration bullshit, which may or may not be what you signed up for.

Disclaimer I have very little idea what I’m doing, but it’s been working out so far.

1 Like

Thank you again.

I have been looking into sfp+ nics, but they’re still a bit pricey, I noticed the price jacked up after many youtubers showed how to do it :-/

That would be amazing to saturate an NVMe! I’m still having a few consistency issues with my demo FreeNAS box, but it’s likely a hardware issue.

I asked the L1 community a while back about it and they were really helpful

The config I intend to use will likely end up being nic to nic like you said, but it would be nice to have 10 to my workstation(s), backup server and main server…we shall see!

Haha, you’re on my level, I don’t want too much network BS, my needs are modest, the gear I’ve got for free will certainly give me a good starting point.

Right now with income being a bit wonky, it’s a good time to get anything for free to play with - time being cheap and all. Luckily my income hasn’t had too much of a hit, and here in the Uk, I just got my free money from the gov and that has helped a lot (equivalent to 3 months income when self-employed).

Thank you again though, really kind!