[SOLVED] HDD prices because of mining - not seen a spike yet, but do they like SMR?

One of my local pc hardware shops here in DK have already placed a max limit of 2 hdd’s pr. customer.
8 TB disks have also risen about 10-20% in price at the same store.

Chia is big fucking gay. I just don’t understand why it has to take up so much place. What’s the technical justification for it? It’s ridiculous.

I still have 11 TB free on my nas, which should last me 1-1,5 years.
Fingers crossed chia has died by then. Or manufacturers have caught up and the prices aren’t jacked by then.

6 Likes

Inb4 cheapo SMR mining branded drives from WD

3 Likes

Thanks @GigaBusterEXE , @Donk, @regulareel and @Zibob .

Yep, sadly so, prices have either gone up or they’re no longer available from my regular places :frowning: . It doesn’t matter too much, as I’ve got some important short term things to do first. (Building me new office).

1 Like

Yeah so… This Chia shit has got to go. GPUs are one thing, but drives… Are you kidding me. My normal source skyrocketed in price so I hope I don’t need any replacement drives any time soon.

2 Likes

Some prices fluctuate a bit at my usual go to store, but the Toshiba N300 8 TB have gone from 1500 DKK to 1900 Dkk, which is from 246 USD to 312 USD. Big gay…

The 12 TB Toshiba N300 have remained at 2000 DKK / 328 USD. But they are out of stock, and their estimated delivery is in november… That’s 6 fucking months!!

Hopefully chia will be impacted by China’s newest crack down on crypto, and just die already.

1 Like

This also affect the enterprise. They use a lot hdd’s.

Hopefully chia will die a fiery death within the year…

3 Likes

Esp. after Der8auer did his trial run, seeing the drive health D I P [a 100GB plot costs >1.3TB Writes!?]… Straight up MADNESS!? And Enterprise wouldn’t stand to this [kinda] tomfoolery

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t get the logic behind that.
Hopefully It’ll die soon enough.

1 Like

HDD Prices are 2x atm, hoping it will go to 3x or 4x, production ramped up like crazy then chia crashes and burns and 2022 will have spinning rust straight from the factory at 40% of the price 2021 pre chia

1 Like

would be nice, that’s my hope too. I want to fill out my 5 empty drive bays, and then get a power supply and another cage to fill out another 10 drive DIY NAS made mostly from what would otherwise be e-waste.
Maybe some 10Gb NICs to make a LAN

2 Likes

Yeah it’s a pain alright. Ironwolf’s don’t seem to be difficult to get, but cheap 6TB+ drives are hard to come by for a reasonable price.

Cheap ironwolfs pros sure are, though. Used to get Seagate Pro(Barracuda, Ironwolf, or Exos) for $200ish normally, less on sale.
Wish I’d got some off memoryexpress the other day, since it looks like it’ll be a while before affordable drives are affordable again.

The reason MSRP Ironwolf Pros are easy to get, though, is they already cost so much in the first place.

yeah, pretty much, they are expensive to start with but I’m glad the price hasn’t gone up at all. The 4TB that I need, go for around $140 and that price hasn’t changed for ages, which is a relief as I still need 4 of them for my main server.

I haven’t seen 4TB and under drives shift at all, actually. It might just be that they’re too low-density to be a good option for chia mining, or that you can often get 8TB drives for a better cost per GB. I’ve seen them go for $120~140CAD and under for years now.
2TB drives are still $60~70cad too.
Edit: seeing them at around $100 still. Maybe I’ll have to just buy a lot of smaller drives instead of going for density lol. Of course, that also means that you get cheaper drives, as <10TB for either MF generally means consumer grade, and >8TB is enterprise grade only.

Interesting stuff.

Luckily my main server (an old re-used workstation) will have 8 or 9 x 4TB ironwolfs, this chia stuff is just interfering with my intended snapshot machine. A real pain, but hopefully it’ll pass in 6 months or so!

Hey, have you looked recently? Looks like availability and pricing getting there now

1 Like

I have indeed, they’re coming back to normal, just availability is a little hit and miss, though I mainly look to Scan for prices.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.