[solved] Guess I can't recommend Ryzen for gaming indefinitely anymore (Was the PSU's fault)

Instead of it fixing the issue, the issue just changes.

EDIT: I’m using an MSI X470 Gaming Plus (non max) I believe the 7B79vAH is fine. Haven’t done a lot of testing.
Another EDIT: My USB issues (and other issues) were caused by the used PSU that EVGA sold me advertised as new “B stock”.
Update: Still having the issue; at this rate my next PC will be a pre-built. Don’t know if PSU caused permanent damage or not.
Final update (hopefully): After swapping the PSU and getting a new mouse, seems fine again. Gamed for 10-12 hours without the bullshit.

1 Like

Yeah I have viewed this video already and I have an Aorus Master motherboard currently with the F30 BIOS.

I don’t recall having this issue but I went ahead and disabled the Global C state setting as indicated.

However this MAY just be an issue with some motherboards ?

it is possible that some revisions have the issue while others do not. or it could be issues with the chips used in conjunction with the board. or it could be a bad batch of controllers that went onto some boards. or a bit of all the above causing a perfect storm.

I’m on an MSI X470 Gaming Plus with a 1700X. I get to choose between USB stutter, and entire system stutter.

So I guess I’ll make an update. I gave in and got an RMA CPU, only to have a dead GPU when the replacement arrived; and a GPU I used previously to the dead one for months straight, won’t work. I believe the culprit is the latest BIOS breaking compatibility with my practically ancient HD6770. MSI in their infinite wisdom decided the new BIOS should prevent owners from flashing back to an older BIOS (anything that doesn’t support Ryzen 3000… I’m using a 1700X). The HD6770 has been running for a few days straight on an old Lenovo board with an i3 3220; it’s what I’m using to view this now.

Just updated to BIOS Rev F31 and just got another 2TB NVMe SSD and installed a new Windows 10 Pro to rule out any other weirdness.

So far so good but will keep an eye on things.

And I may have fucced up my troubleshooting. Broke my mouse before last BIOS update, switched to a different mouse that turned out to have a bad cable. Keyboard wasn’t cutting out, so the 7B79vAH BIOS may be fine. Running that BIOS and a 6770 GPU. The GPU wasn’t working, but now it is. If I were to take wild guesses, I cleaned the board with rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush while I was waiting for RMA, I guess it’s possible some moisture lingered… idk, system has been running for 2 days; before I’d be lucky to get hours out of it before a hard crash (black screen or static on screen, never a BSOD). I held the board in front of a heater and then it sat for days, so I just don’t know. I hate intermittent issues.

I noticed on the latest (non beta) BIOS for mine, when I disabled “global C-states”, mouse input latency dropped noticably. Don’t know what that’s about.

It’s worrying how many people are complaining about Gigabyte motherboards. The forum probably have more threads about faulty Gigabyte AM4 boards than all other brands combined…

I’m on an MSI board btw.

I updated to F31 on my X570 Master and did a fresh install of Win 10 Pro to a new 2TB NVMe SSD

I noticed something new, Resizable BAR support so I set it to Auto.

Also disabled the Global C State but had not noticed if that helped with any mouse lag or not.

Well, there’s all the Asrock threads… :wink:

I’ve been running an Aorus B550 Pro V2 for a little while now, on the F11 BIOS (latest as of writing), and haven’t experienced any USB issues, so far anyway… knocks on wood

I only have two memory slots populated though (2x16GiB DDR4 3600), which might make a difference based on some of the information I’ve seen.

Two things I did notice, though neither really has any practical impact:

• can’t control the RGB of the Ballistix memory sticks with Aura. That includes outright turning it off (there were no non-RGB sticks available for reasonable prices when I ordered)
  • I have “phantom fans”. Only the CPU header is in use but if if leave HWMonitor running it’ll eventually register RPM for the other headers, which have no fans on them… Could be a HWMonitor issue, but I’ve never seen it do that before.
1 Like

the beta BIOS for my board shows re-sizable BAR too, and it wasn’t greyed out, even though I have a 1700X. Never tried it.

I was surprised it showed up too but then again, this is NOT an AMD feature, just a marketing thing.

It is part of the PCIe protocol so it makes sense to NOT limit it to any specific CPU.

of course, I just expected delayed support for anything not Ryzen 5000

Looks like BIOS isn’t to blame for GPU issues. When PSU is grounded to case… issues.

Hm I am wondering if it could be an AMD issue with the USB controller itself as from what I understand all mainboards vendors have those issues. The guy in the video even said that the USB3.2 ports didn’t suffer from that issue and those are probably asmedia ones. They r different from the amd usb controller!

I was wondering the same, and RMAed the CPU after hearing that again and not having an idea of whataelse to do.

What I tried to say by that is that it might really be design flaw.

Btw have you tried if the same problem arises in Linux? Since it works in BIOS it could also be a driver issue. I’m just guessing though