[SOLVED] Gaming on Kwin, KDE Plasma, Fedora 34 with Multiple Monitors

I’ve been going back and forth with linux, tried everything, OS flavours and DE’s and all.

I’ve become very invested in Fedora lately, it seems more robust compared to my past experiences from ubunu, opensuse, debian, and surprisingly pop_os.

I’ve been testing on Fedora 34, KDE Plasma (Spin-Off version, for simplicity sake) and done the Love+VRR testing, basically everything related to my needs have been met. But now, here’s the kicker, I have a 3 monitor setup, all are 2560x1440 (120Hz,144Hz,120Hz) and they all run perfectly, it’s just once I launch a game via steam+proton(latest, not experimental) it forces itself on my left monitor which is position 0,0 for what I’m gathering.

Now, I know I’m running Wayland,XWayland. But from my findings over the past few days in my free-time have concluded that this…this is new to Wayland, everything pertains to XOrg or X(11) and there is just a compositor (Which in my case, KWin) that I have to somehow tell it to force my games on the main screen, funny enough this only happens to fullscreen applications, everything else works fine.

After all other resources that have been exhausted I’m now convinced that I might have a chance here, perhaps @wendell knows this particular hurdle. This is the only thing that is preventing me to finally and fully convert to linux, I have all my software set up, just need this one thing to work.

THIS SECTION IS FOR THOSE WONDERING WHY I’M MOVING TO LINUX

I’ve been on windows nearly my whole life, tinkering on linux in the background during high school and beyond, monitored the progress of windows declining from Windows XP (SP2) and now that it’s a DaaS I want my freedom/control back. SInce this recent push from Valve in the last few years, I think it’s high time I move on to better ventures.

1 Like

I’ve done some more testing and also want to clarify that having VRR is nice so I’m using KDE Plasma, however, I’ve tested in gnome via native and proton that games work as intended, but without the niceties of FreeSync (VRR).

If playing native in KDE the game works as intended as well, but if you use proton, it shifts to the most left side position (in this case, 0,0). Which is a mind boggle, this tells me that KWin is in fact the culprit, but I don’t know how to begin troubleshooting this process, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve found a workaround, you can use “Configure Special Application Settings” by right clicking the application windowbar. There’s are two caveats however, one, you have to launch the game, go into it’s graphical settings and set it to window mode to show the windowbar, two, you then have to right click the windowbar to get into the special application settings, then you simply click + Add Property... then scroll down to screen and make sure the number is the correct screen/monitor that is the one you want to game on, also make sure it’s set to force, I’ve tested with The Outer Worlds and it has habit of going back to 0,0 whenever you pause and unpause the game, so this fixes it.

Not a seamless fix, but a 100% workable one, now I’m wondering if you can have wildcards in the target application name to say steamapps and it’s a one and done. Any pointers?

1 Like