[SOLVED] Fsck to rebuild UnRaid USB help

Hi all,
My server is spitting out an error saying “failed to load ldlinux.c32” and thus the system wont continue the boot process. After some help on the unraid forum they said to rebuild the USB using the fsck command under linux
the only issue is that im still new to Ubuntu and cart quite understand the response that the terminal is giving me. Can anyone ‘translate’?
Thanks

jjackstar@ubuntu-workstation:~$ sudo fsck /dev/sdd1
[sudo] password for jjackstar:
fsck from util-linux 2.30.1
e2fsck 1.43.5 (04-Aug-2017)
ext2fs_open2: Bad magic number in super-block
fsck.ext2: Superblock invalid, trying backup blocks…
fsck.ext2: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdd1

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a valid ext2/ext3/ext4
filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2/ext3/ext4
filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
e2fsck -b 8193
or
e2fsck -b 32768

Okay, the first error “failed to load ldlinux.c32” is a syslinux error. It can’t find a file required to load the linux kernel.

Next, the bad superblock. When the superblock is invalid, the partition can’t be mounted. The good thing is that there are backups of the superblock. give those two recommended commands a try and see what happens. If you keep getting problems, chances are that your flash drive is damaged and you’ll need to get a new one.

1 Like

Thank you very much @SgtAwesomesauce very helpful

1 Like

Glad to hear. What wound up being the problem?

drive is shot, first time that Ive had one of these sandisk ultrafits die on me. It has been used as the huperviser usb for about 2 years now so its had a good life…

That’s why. These flash drives are rated for few writes.

If you’re looking for a new one, have a look at this wiki page, it should help you:

https://wiki.lime-technology.com/USB_Flash_Drive_Preparation

1 Like

Legend, Ill get reading

1 Like