[Solved] Error installing ati legacy drivers

After downgrading xorg to the appropriate version while im installing catalyst-total-hd234k i get this error:

-> Generating .MTREE file...
bsdtar: Write error
bsdtar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.
  -> Compressing package...
xz: (stdout): Write error: No space left on device
bsdtar: Write error
==> ERROR: Failed to create package file.
==> ERROR: Makepkg was unable to build catalyst-total-hd234k.
==> Restart building catalyst-total-hd234k ? [y/N]

after pressing Y:

==> ERROR: pkgver is not allowed to be empty.
==> ERROR: pkgrel is not allowed to be empty.
==> ERROR: is not available for the 'x86_64' architecture. > Note that many packages may need a line added to their PKGBUILD > such as arch=('x86_64').
Unable to read PKGBUILD

try setting the environment variable BUILDDIR to your home directory.

Example:

mkdir ~/pkgbuild
BUILDDIR=~/pkgbuild yaourt -S catalyst-total-hd234k
rm -rf ~/pkgbuild

This error is because yaourt or makepkg, whatever you're using, compiles it in the /tmp directory. depending on how much ram your tmpfs is allowed to use, you may run out of space before the build is finished.

Have a look at this arch wiki page

I fixed the issue by cleaning the tmp folder, but since tmp is on root partition shouldn't it use all the available space?

if you do df -h you should notice that /tmp is mounted as type tmpfs. This filesystem type is basically a ramdisk. It mounts a virtual drive that uses ram to store anything put in it. It's nice and fast, but it uses your ram. This means that it won't use any hard drive space, even if the filesystem runs out of space. Imagine this as a small D:/ drive in windows.

i don't know if it has to do with the ati drivers but when i launch Steam i get Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf" at line 70. and it does not open. have you experience such a thing?

Steam login window opens with weird characters

The fix is to instal ttf-leberation

Its got nothing to do with the drivers. Just missing fonts, which you fixed :)