[solved] Dell PSU: Standard?

I have a Dell Optiplex 3010 and I'd like to pull out the board and re-use the case and PSU. I know Dell tends to have nonstandard PSU's, but this one (model D250ED-00) seems to have a standard P1 ATX connector.

Anyone know for sure?
Any way I can find out, without a multimeter or specialized equipment?
Without setting anything on fire?

Thanks! I can upload a photo after work if needed.

Should work fine, in my experience they've worked in other builds. Granted this was from a 7010, but they are similar.

1 Like

i have an old lga 775 mobo. i could plug it into that for a few hours and see if it catches fire.

(I know i said no fire, but fire is just so fun)

I wouldn't be worried, they normally have a standard atx layout and even if they did something funky with the connectors it would most likely have different keying so you couldn't use it.

1 Like

keying is the same. but i've heard of dell using same connectors with different wiring (I got this warning — and from several independent sources — a few months ago, when i was looking for a 2011 server board). better safe than sorry, i think. i don't want to risk the board in question.

thanks!

Is an LED "specialized equipment"? You could use one to roughly check the voltage on the pinout by how bright it is. A cheapo multimeter really would give you the answer, is it that hard to come by?

Also a lot of time those cases are even proprietary so mounting a standard form factor may prove to be a pain.

well, i'd have to go out somewhere and grab one. closest place i can think of is a Fry's, about 40 minutes. and at that point, I'd buy a cheap multimeter. tl;dr: i was trying to be impatient and build tonight.

mounting is not an issue. the current board is nonstandard, but shares six mounting holes with a micro-atx board, and there are mounts on the case for the other three.

however, on closer inspection, the front panel connectors are nonstandard. more importantly, there's on one 4-pin cpu power connector, and the board I want to use needs an 8-pin. so, not to be. at least, not tonight.

thanks, guys!

in case you were wondering, it's standard!

thanks again