[SOLVED] DDR4 ECC RAM, does it generally work in your average non-ECC motherboard?

That is a lot of risk to get to an end result. What country do you live in?

1 Like

Ok, ok then, thank you for your honesty :+1: I’m in the UK.

Yeah the price of used 2011 stuff makes it a challenge. Even if i bought one here and shipped it to you, by the time you paid shipping it would still be around $200 total. If it would have made a difference, or if you come across one on US ebay, i can reship it to you, but right now that wont save you much.

1 Like

Just as an FYI, for a recent project I tried the C7X99-OCE-F (a Supermicro consumer focussed X99 board) that while not officially supported would boot with DDR4 RDIMMs, but ECC did not seem like it was working.

1 Like

Did you use the newer passmark version of Memtest? It might only be the pro version, but I remember it claiming to isolate bad ram stick/chips.

2 Likes

Wow, that is super kind of you to even consider, thank you :+1: I’ve had American friends offering similar in the long distant past, and like you say, even if an item was free, the postage cost is murder! :astonished:

That sounds great, even if it lacks ECC functionality, SuperMicro are great boards. Thanks for letting me know matey :+1:

That’s a good question, looking at my Software repository (Umm, downloads folder), looks like I was using a version downloaded in Jan 2022. I have downloaded the latest free version for the next time I use it, I can’t quite justify $45 for the pro version…right now at least!

Just a little update, I bought a ASUS X99-AIl and it took the ECC RAM fine, with an Xeon CPU on it.

It’s happily received TrueNAS Core

It’s weird though as the listing said that Windows cannot be installed on it. I found that weird, so naturally tried and yeah…it’s right.

Here's the original listing text if interested

So this is my Asus x99 board and it’s works and runs Linux perfectly installed a fair few distros and works flawlessly OCS good all ram channels working ecc does work with both the xeons and i7s no issue just get clock locked to 1866/2133 if in quad channel dual channel on the i7s you can pc the ECC ram. The issue is windows will no install XP 7 10 11 they won’t load from a pre installed drive windows installers don’t load either spinns the wheel twice and locks up but Linux runs perft and vms are fine no issue at all. So this is be sold no returns cause it’s cleared stated Linux works and that’s it.

The previous owner says he tried every thing and also goes on to say “didn’t help BIOS chip could be corrupted but Linux installs fine. It’s not the USB controller, installed to different data (Sata, NVME, PCI) from different USB drives, changed out RAM”.

Is this a common problem I wonder?

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.