(SOLVED) BtrFS -> NTFS transfer speeds seem notably slow

On Linux BtrFS is slow with default settings I'm told. There is secret magic sauce settings you can apply to BtrFS to make it go ALOT faster, even faster than EXT4, if you find the settings for this let me know. I haven't tried to hunt them down just yet...

1 Like

http://moo.nac.uci.edu/~hjm/parsync/

Look at this explanation. This, combined with your IO pattern and the fact you are using complex filesystems (their structure) might explan a lot. It is definitely worth a try.

1 Like

You've been told correctly, in certain situations.

It's really only about 15% or so slower than ext4 though, so it shouldn't be causing this sort of performance problem.

Specifying noatime in /etc/fstab is a known performance improvement. Enabling compression (compress=lzo) helps as well.

Another option is to defrag the BTRFS partition.

That's about all I know that will help with BTRFS performance.

1 Like

I'm marking this solved as I already have moved my drives to my main system and no longer need to transfer from BtrFS to NTFS.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I'm going to chalk it up to a combination of a two rsync threads (as two are created when running a single rsync command), my CPU being a 2.4 GHz Intel Avoton Atom, one of my drives being crippled (seemingly), BtrFS having high overhead (relative to other File Systems), and my using BtrFS with default values.

It's not worth troubleshooting at this point.

1 Like