[SOLVED] 5995wx on ASUS WRX80E-SAGE with 1TB memory installed goes into an infinite Q-Code loop

And based off your previous testing if a user isn’t using a ton of memory (which most benchmarks fall into that category), the performance anomaly doesn’t show up; which might explain why this hasn’t been discovered by the typical review sites since they use more pedestrian benchmarks that don’t have large memory footprints.

​​​ ​ ​
​ ​ ​​

​ ​ ​​​ ​ ​​

Do you you know what temps your memory was running at during the test prior to the addition of the cooling shroud? HWiNFO should be able to report that info since most all RDIMMs have thermal sensors on them and will report their temps individually.
RAM can run pretty hot without issues normally, I’ve run RDIMMs between 70-75C non-stop for years without issues… however back in the DDR3 days I remember these huge LRDIMMs that would absolutely overheat without a ton of air going over them.

1 Like

When I had 8x sticks of 128 the temps were creeping above 90C on the IR camera, which is not good. With 4 sticks, I see about 75C on the IR camera, which means the actual internal temps are likely higher. For some reason I can’t get memory temps on this setup with HWinfo, or at least I haven’t tried very hard to get it to work. when I cool the dimms down with fans the system seems to return to normal until I hit it with a heavy memory load.

1 Like

That definitely sounds like temperature is the cause of your problem.

These were the DIMMs that had to be forced cooled to work I was talking about, they are chonkers.

6 Likes

Those are chonky DIMMs. and only 32GB? the 128GB DIMMs I have are denser than those, so if those need forced air, then I definitely need it. We ordered some off the shelf memory coolers that will hopefully work. If not, we’ll have to design something. Clearly the system integrator didn’t test CFD workflows when they sold us this setup.

3 Likes

its a ddr3 dimm

2 Likes

Not to derail this thread too much because I think the Asus board problem is BIOS related as opposed to heat.
DDR4 can use up a ton of power, here’s what my power usage looks like on an actual FEA workload (not synthetic benchmark) on some 2400MHz 32GB HMA84GR7AFR4N-UH sticks:

That’s 150 watts the memory is using across only 8 DIMMs. I’d imagine the 128GB sticks at a faster speed would use a decent amount more power.

1 Like

I’m starting to lose the plot on this thread.

Perhaps we can keep this thread clear for people who are tracking updates on 1TB / Sage / 5XXX and start a new thread for related memory performance issues.

1 Like

Hi everyone, I’m back again with some minor updates.

One of you mentioned that we might be a part of Asus team. The answer is “no”. We just made alot of noise for them to notice us and I showed them this page proving that we are not the only customer who is facing the same issue

As for performance test, can i trouble any of the members here to link me what program to test? I’ll try to test it before i ship out the product :slight_smile:

1. Memtest is FINALLY over after 114 hours!

2. You MUST at an active fan or air flow over the memory modules. We are currently using Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 but with a 2nd 120mm fan on the other side of the heatsink. The default only comes with a 140mm. We tried to use another 140mm but the 120mm proves to be a better option for the memory modules as it’s positioned lower/nearer to the modules.

4 Likes

I would like to apologize if my previous comment made you uncomfortable. Thank you for the updates and your hard work!

This is the benchmark we were using that should uncover any performance anomalies with the memory bandwidth:

It should finish in around 30-45 minutes if there is no memory slow down happening.

1 Like

Bios 1106 has been released on Asus support site!
I can confirm it boots with 1TB RAM.

2 Likes

I saw this bios release is only listed on the support page of the 2nd revision of the WRX80E-SAGE board.
Do you have the 2nd revision of the board or did you flash the 1st revision of the board?

2nd Revision: Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI II|Motherboards|ASUS Global
1st Revision: Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI|Motherboards|ASUS Global

2 Likes

The new AGESA 1.0.0.5 update is applicable to the 1st revision of the motherboard.

The international ASUS site just doesn’t have it listed properly.
The US site does have the BIOS properly listed:

2 Likes

Yes, used the one from the US site.
COMSOL benchmark ran using 5965wx and 8x128GB = 35m 12s

2 Likes

Nice.
So it looks like the new bios is the cure.

Also I’m kind of surprised that you got effectively the same performance as a 5995WX (within 8%). I would have guessed the 5965WX’s 4 chiplets had less memory bandwidth that the 5995WX’s 8 chiplets but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

2 Likes

This is incredible news. Can anyone suggest a link to (or provide) instructions on how to install the latest BIOS?

1 Like

I ran the benchmark provided further up in the thread and it seems to have very poor utilization, seldom keeping more than a few threads busy. A significant portion of the test uses only a single thread. Perhaps the task isn’t parallel enough to reveal a difference?

1 Like

The workload/benchmark is mostly memory bound rather than compute bound.
Here’s a super brief characterization on a dual e5-2697a system:

4 Likes
r@zeus:~$ free -mh
               total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:           995Gi        32Gi       931Gi        15Mi        31Gi       956Gi
Swap:          8.0Gi          0B       8.0Gi

BIOS 1006 worked for me! So glad this has been resolved!! Thanks everyone.

2 Likes

I’m very pleased to see that a new bios 1106 is finally available! I would like to thank everyone here for the discussion and helpful comments so far!

I have two news. One good news is that for the first time, my 5995wx system booted with 1TB memory.
But the bad news is that I’m still experiencing low performance.
COMSOL benchmark result:

• 5995wx + 1106 + 8 x Samsung M393AAG40M32-CEC0
    = more than 1.5h. (canceled the test)

I have to have more tests to see what’s going on, but I believe this stick is still incompatible with this MB, and I have nothing to say about this because technically this module is not listed in QVL. One interesting fact is that when I installed all eight sticks, I did not see 1024GB in Windows Task Manager, but I did get 1012GB utilizable memory with hardware-reserved 12.2GB. This, I understand, is common when modules are not fully recognized by a MB. I repopulated the sticks and cleaned up the slots with compressed air, but nothing worked.(again, removing any one of 8 sticks resolves the 12.2GB of hardware reservation :rofl:)

Now that I’m kind of exhausted, I have decided to just keep my fingers crossed for another bios update. Meanwhile, I ordered 8 x 64GB (Samsung M393A8G40AB2-CWEC0) and got today. These work flawlessly, and here is a benchmark result FYI.

• 5995wx + 1106 + 8 x Samsung M393A8G40AB2-CWEC0 (512GB in total) = 27m 3s!

5 Likes