[SOLVED] 3970X - Prime95 stability?

what about that VRM guy from gamers nexus wouldn’t he know?

:smiley: knowing is a very relative term when it comes to him, but basically anyone with an oscilloscope could check their VRMs and see if this phenomenon exists on other boards too. I dont know if the VRM design of the AORUS Master is unique. (I doubt it)
I might be better off just sharing those pictures with Gigabyte-Support.

What bothers me more is that those glitches also happen, if i set the core voltage to constant 1.25V. However it might be a function of the power management to just update the VRM anyway, just always with the constant value. If the glitch is only 130mV deep (little more with noise) I should get my system stable with overvolting it. At 1.25V it is still unstable at 3GHz with the same cores failing each time in Prime95… I try 1.35V next. But i wont go higher. It may be time for a re-seating of the cpu next, but if the affected cores dont change, i am giving up.

Edit: done the 1.35V:

1. The osciloscope only measures around 1.15-1.2V. Not that an oscilloscope is an accurate measuring device for absolute values, but it is surely not 150mV off. So somehow my 1.35V setting for VCore and SOC doesnt do much.
  2. However it was more stable. The glitch was still there but only 30mV or so. But as the CPU got hotter, the glitch grew to the original size, and BAM, stopped workers in Prime95.

I would think the MoBo is simply unreliable. Not sure what causes such behavior however. It seem everything else is working fine. Maybe its an early adopter thing, i basically bought it, when it came out. Might have been a mistake. Running the newest Bios does not fix it.

1 Like

any chance there is a defect in a coil or transistor or cap in the PSU?

Hi, as an electrical engineer, i do have my thought on the matter, but i think before i start soldering around the motherboard and voiding warranty, this should be a warranty case first.

To answer your questions:

• PSU: no. The PSU does not act in such short time periods. If the PSU fails or is insufficient you would see much deeper and longer drops, as a PSU is a very slow thing.
  • Cap in PSU: there are many paralleled inside the PSU, so if one fails, you get higher ripple on the 12V line but that does not lead immediately to a failure. Only if all caps die, there would be such a phenomenon. But this is highly unlikely.
  • defective coil: generally a very unlikely scenario. (except bad soldering)
  • defective transistor: possibly although i dont think the silicon is defective (because power transistors usually short out) but it may be a soldering defect. I however dont see, hoe in a 16-Phase system a defective stage can ruin it all.

What I think:
I have done a FFT on my oscilloscope of V_core. I found it disturbing to see there is a significant portion of ripple voltage at 500kHz. From my experience, a VRM going from 12->1V should switch from 150kHz to 300kHz per phase. Seeing a 500kHz ripple in the output means that somehow something is wrong, since the combined phases should end up in the MHz-Range if everything works and not 500kHz. This hints to broken load sharing across phases or inactive phases (despite setting the VRM to extreme performance mode in bios, so all phases should be switching independent of load)
The fact that all phases seem to stop switching at once is either an over current condition or a feedback glitch (like sensing over voltage which is not there)
Unfortunately i cant probe the switching side of the VRMs because it is hidden under a heatsink. So i cant test any hypothesis. Lets wait for a response from Gigabyte. They say may take 3-5 business days. WTF.

3 Likes

Actually, as you may know, the VRM phases operate sequentially. Each provides all the current for a short while, then “rests” while the others take up the load one at a time. (Sometimes 2 or 3 FET-choke stages are wired to a single phase, but the principle is the same.) And 500 kHz is a credible frequency for switching from phase to phase, near enough to the 150-300 kHz you mention.

Makes me wonder whether a single faulty FET-choke stage might produce the waveform you are observing. No current for a moment during which voltage drops sharply, then the next phase takes up the load. Regular as clockwork.

You might look at the Vcore at idle, or under differing loads. If it’s this sort of problem, a similar pattern ought to be present - though the voltage wouldn’t drop as steeply with a lighter load.

P.S. Kudos for collecting & sharing solid data - the oscilloscope photos are very helpful.

1 Like

Hmmm… I realized that it isn’t clear to me whether 150 - 500 kHz is the frequency at which a particular phase / FET is switched, or whether it is the master phase clock which would be divided by the number of phases. For my earlier suggestion to be correct, it would have to be the first case.

Ah-ha! The figure “PWM-Double Signal” at this site
WikiChip Voltage Regulator Module
shows an example with each of 12 phases switching at 150 kHz (divided from 300 kHz) although frequency isn’t the focus of the discussion.

That is very much a power delivery problem. That level of droop should never occur. I would have suggested a BIOS flash, but you’ve tried that. The only other thing to try would be differences in LLC settings to mitigate the ridiculous transients, but I would have sent the mobo back as soon as I saw your linked oscilloscope readings. Nothing you can do will make that manageable. :grimacing:

That’s Gigabyte’s problem.

Thx nurdygurl for the backup. I have contacted Gigabyte, lets see how the customer service is. I just hope they send out before i have to send in. The standard procedure is really the most f.dup s.t that can happen to a higher end work station. Cant have the downtime.

Caped_Kibitzer, your description of a multiphase converter is a bit off, i dont think you have fully understood how it works :wink:
The phases (may some be paralleled or not) are not operating sequentially so that any single stage has to carry the full current. They in fact operate interleaved (phase shifted). In such a stepdown converter, the coil-current does not go to zero in any inductor at any time - before that happens, phases are shut down preferably.

Unfortunately the Link/Resource you posted is some utter BS. For example their voltage curves in https://en.wikichip.org/w/images/5/52/vrm_circut_with_switching_(multi-phase)_output_overlay.svg are totally stupid :smiley: I mean, the output voltage of every phase is shorted together. It is impossible to draw individual voltage curves and how the combined voltage is then suddenly just the maximum of all of the voltage is just hilarious. That does not happen.
If you really want to learn about that stuff, I suggest you read datasheets of multiphase converters ICs. They usually contain a Theory of Operation paragraph. Those are credible sources. And never think after, for example, a Actual Hardcore Overclocking video, that you learned something correct, just because it make sense to you at the time. As an electrical engineer (having also built multiphase converters myself), trust me, it is pure cringe.
I suggest real engineering literature about that stuff like: http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slva882a/slva882a.pdf
If you dont understand everything, that is totally fine! The important thing is, that you know that you dont understand it, instead of thinking something is understood but it is actually wrong :slight_smile: The more you read the same type of documents, the more they make sense over time.

4 Likes

I just remembered something, so years ago on some haswell cpu, I was having similar problems. I was using liquid metal and a delided cpu. After throughly cleaning the board and cpu, then using regular thremal paste, the problem went away. The liquid metal was shorting something.

moral of the story: check for shorts?

Edit: oh and sorry about you threadripper, but thanks for posting it was a nice read.

I am back. I just had a very frustrating WTF-Moment.
Short story short: i bought a new Motherboard, nice i got no support from the suppliers except giving up my pc for a month or two. Thats no option.
Now, switched motherboards: same problem as before. Same Vcore-glitch and the same cores failing first in prime95 and stessapptest.

So basically it comes down to:
a) The CPU shorting out Vcore every 4ms and it needs to be replaced
b) The Gigabyte Aorus Master TRX40 has a general problem, since two boards failed here.

Man that is torture! Specially with no support from AMD or Gigabyte… they just refer to to their resellers. “Sure, dear customer, diagnose it yourself. We can take your spare 3000€, buy new CPU+MoBo and just try stuff in vain; Or hey, give us your PC; we take it for an undetermined length of time, but it is for sure measured in months. Your choice of course”

Man am I pissed.

Oh: regarding the gigabyte support: imcompetent trolls. There is no useful conversation with them. Basically to solve the µs-glitch they proposed to play with the Load line calibration. All while having access to the oscilloscope pictures and seeing damn well, that the regulator response is slower than the glitch. I just gave up, gave 0 starts. not worth the time. No real technicians there who actually know anything in detail.

What now? Order a spare 3970x ? Guess so…

Oho ooohhhho hooo… !!! Just a thought: if it is a dead cpu short-circuiting Vcore, then my power draw must be higher in Idle, right? (even if the glitch is not that deep in idle)
My system draws 200W from the wall doing nothing. Just saying. Is that normal for the 3970x?

Don’t have experience with the 3970x, but that seems really high for a system on idle.

What’s your full spec list? Are HDD’s plugged in? GPU?

To get the best measurement, use a current-clamp (you likely have access to one) and tell us what you get on your 12v CPU rail. Try it in the bios and booted into an O.S.

Regarding your mention of measuring the VRM output, why can’t you remove the heatsink from the VRM’s? Also, have you tried measuring the voltage stability of the DIMM power rails? Also I guess you tried varying memory configuration in different slots as well (even if they aren’t configured optimally)? I know it seems like it may be a CPU issue, but it could also be a DIMM issue.

Also, BIOS update (didn’t see it mentioned)?

Edit: Also, maybe also try disabling CPU cores

Full spec is: 3970x, 5700XT, Aorus Mater TRX40, 64GB 3600CL16 (4 sticks), 4x 2TB (ssd) @ SATA, 2x 1GB @ NVME, some fans + a pump. 850W Power supply, full load is 600W-700W. (So there is actually room for graphics card)

I unfortunately do not have a dc current clamp. However i measured the 12V rail voltage-vise and they are rock solid as are all the other rails. Power supply is fine. (I understand, you wanted me to measure cpu power draw, but I cant, so I answer this instead :wink: )

Removing the Heatsink of the VRMs seems sketchy. I know its possible, but i also so not want to void warranty more than necessary. Also measuring on a live stupidly expensive system does not feel good. I havent the right setup here to so a professional job.
The voltasge stability of the other rails (those that have measurement points) are all fine. It is only Vcore.

• Bios is updated.
  • disabling CPU-Cores helps, but it only lessens the chance. I ran a while with 8 cores (via bios), it still happens. Also i can disable all cores in Linux that fail in stressapptest or prime, but when i run the test again, other cores just fail. I see on the oscilloscope that the depth of the glitch is load dependend. This is why disabling cores helps.
    This behavior is the same on both motherboards i now own.
  • The Vcore glitch happens like clockwork every 4ms. It is not related to VID-changes.
  • I disabled C6 via zenstates.py. No change under load.
  • i also tried different memory speeds. The glitches also happen when Memory is at stock 2133MHz.
  • I also removed and/or shuffled memory sticks around. No Change.Memory is fine, when Mem-Testing it is the CPU that fails the comparison or hash/crc computation, (stessapptest retests a failed memory segment, and retesting is often successful)
  • I also exchanged my 5700XT with a 1080, although the system ran more stable, the glitches on Vcore are still present.

The CPU is the only thing left to change.

To me, it makes no sense. at all.
It would be a tremendous help, if anyone could hook up an oscilloscope to their Threadripper3000 system. As far as i know, Gigabyte uses the same VRM on many boards. If the glitch is part of normal operation, then i have another problem. But not knowing what to expect on Vcore is what holds me back from buying another 3970X. It is no fun to spend 2000€ on a guess.

1 Like

Have you tried changing the VRM settings in the UEFI? The controller can probably do things like dynamic switching frequency, phase shedding, etc. to save power. But if thats buggy you might get more stability with all phases active all the time at a fixed switching frequency.

Have tried it, does not help at all.
I dont expect that anything helps anymore either. If two boards behave the same, that would mean that there would be a systematic problem with the VRM. AFAK the VRM design is shared across multiple models. I think they would have addressed that by now. This is nothing that can be solved by BIOS-settings or all Gigabyte-TRX40-boards would be unstable out of the box.

My focus is on the CPU right now.

Hi @DerAlbi,

You’re not alone! I have posted my story in this forum, it’s quite similar to yours.

Look for the topic “AMD Threadripper 3970X under heavy AVX2 load: Defective by design?”. Sorry, I’m new here and my posts can’t have links yet.

Hi, i have not read the post (in detail) yet, but this is getting very interesting. Last night (night for me) I had a session with Wendell who was kind enough to spend time with me probing his board, testing Prime95 and so on. He does not have issues.

However i am willing to share another screenshot with you of my oscilloscope findings:

What you see is the voltage Vcore-dip on the bottom. On top i probed 3 of the 16 phases. Here, only the waveform counts, the way i probed to phases does not give me correct absolute values. View it just as indication of what happens!

THE VRM IS INDEED MISSING A CYCLE.
And its worse: it is not only a missing cycle due to a protective feature. I can distiguish this, because the low-side mosfet of the stepdown is turned intentionally ON by the multiphase-controller causing the dip. All phases at once. The CPU does not have a chance.

Now, i have had 2 boards with the exact same issue.
I have to change the CPU first to really double check that it is not the CPU, but it makes absolutely no sense that the CPU would cause that issue. PMBus-Communication is far to slow to misconfigure the VRM for only one cylce.

My current guess is that the XDPE132G5C has some sort of configuration issue (which can be fixed by bios update) or it is actually a hardware fault inside the chips - as if there is a bad badge or something from Infineon.

PLEASE tell me that Franz is a German name? Where do you live? Send PM.

In your post people suggest it is a Vdrop issue. Trust me, the boards copper layout is solid. Those boards do NOT generate excessive drop with huge variations (meaning the Load line calibration in bios stock settings should be fine). If someone hints at a drop, i honestly think it is the VRM fucking up. We need more oscilloscopes among the people.

It is very unfortunate that Gigabyte is not taking me serious. I have no power to get through to someone where a technical discussion about intricate details about the VRM is actually fruitful.

3 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your findings. I agree, this is getting really interesting indeed! I’m so glad that we got the conversation going.

I’m French actually :slight_smile: Franz is how most people call me, in part because I lived many years in Germany (Berlin), in part because it’s much easier for everyone to spell my name (my actual name is François: no weird ç in Franz!)

I cannot agree more. My dream scope is the Rohde & Scharz RTB2000. Maybe it’s time I shell out the money…

My hope is that we can start a conversation with GIGABYTE. Your scope analysis should go a long way in showing that we’re dedicated to finding out what the duck is going on here.

1 Like

I wish it was true. I gave them the findings. The very first scope pictures i described “as if the stepdown stops switching”. It is obvious for anyone with experience in VRM design. (second option is an intermittent short circuited load)
The problem is that the frontmen at Gigabyte tech support are not expert enough to recognize the seriousness, so they dismiss me as the usual idiot customer giving me advice like increasting load line calibration which - thats obvious from the pictures - is not the issue at all.

My best guess:
Basically what we look at is the misconfiguration of the VRM. It seems like the Threadripper goes to idle for a very short time on all cores, that causes a voltage spike to which the VRM overreacts by skipping a cycle. (This is not uncommon behavior for stepdowns)
Those VRM controllers are programmable. The voltage-spike when you go from 100% -> 0% load is normal and usually the capacitors on the board swallow that transient if sized correctly and in accordance to the VRMs control loop.
It seems like they have programmed in wrong time constants.
I think this is fixable by bios update, but we need to get the word out.

Also interesting is, why only some people have the problem.
If they recognized the problem quietly , the newest bios should fix it. If they changed the hardware slightly and forgot to change the settings… thats an oopsie

Again, it could still be the CPU. We have to eliminate the possibility to make really strong claims. Right now, its guessing. I cant investigate deeper, since i need my PC and the thing is just too expensive to dissect for fun.

Check your PMs.

3 Likes

@deralbi and I spent several hours trying to reproduce this on an aorus extreme and the designare on both windows and Linux, and we were not able to. My vrms showed drops and peaks but nothing that looks as bad as what deralbi has and prime 95 ran and ran and ran. The artic tower cooler system got really toasty but was fine.

I am investigating.

Edit: what temps do you have from your vrms and core? The designare is rather balmy and my thought-it-was-overkill cooling is not doing as well as I thought it would

6 Likes

Temps are fine. They are in the 60s (°C) when i adhere to Package power limit. Have a 480mm rad…
The voltage issue is unlikely a temeprature thing. Temperature is an extremely slow process compared to the 500kHz switching. That will never cause one missing cycle but only hard shutdowns.

My current working theory might relate to capacitor tolcerances. The short voltage spike before the dip might trigger an overreaction of the VRM-controller. This spike shold be swallowed by the capacitors (and likely is). But depending on the capacitor tolerance (can have as bad as -20% to -30%) this voltage spice can be more pronounced or better handled. If i have had 2 motherbaord with bad tolerances and an AMD chip that is especially susceptible to voltage, then this could explain it. The VRM may be misconfigured in those edge cases where the load decreases within a microsecond. Then the problem amplifies it self when the VRM skips a cycle, basically over-discharging the capacitors for compensation.

You can try that, by ripping out 20-30% of the capacitors on your board (its enough to desolder the THT caps near the inductors) But desoldering on those multilayer PCBs may be impossible without really good tools. (i have them, but cant risk my board / warranty)

1 Like