Solus - General DIscussion

I mean, I don’t see why you can’t just sudo dnf copr enable alunux/budgie-desktop-stable then sudo dnf install budgie-desktop.

That’ll sort it.

3 Likes

https://goo.gl/images/O4jBi6

1 Like

I will have to try that.

2 Likes

Because its fun to tinker and solus is rock solid. Its also the first distro that i would feel comftable putting someone like my grandmother in front of and knowing that they would be ok on their own. For day to day tasks you can 100% get by with nothing but a gui. Bootup times are INSANE (6s on my old MBA) and it doesnt get hungup on shutdown.

Its not all good though. The installer is completely fucking useless when it comes to doing anything more advanced than a separate /home partition.

1 Like

Good news is that the team is planning to make a new installer for Solus 4.

1 Like

What issues do you have, what software do you miss?

Ubuntu has been my go-to distro since I first started playing with Linux. Ubuntu has never really failed me and been stable enough, but then again I’m nowhere near expert with Linux and would consider myself still a Linux noob. Big plus for Ubuntu in my mind is the fact that if there’s ever Linux software, it’s most likely packaged for Ubuntu, or I can find guide for how to install said software.

I installed Solus to my spare laptop couple weeks ago but hadn’t had time to play around with it yet. Installer was little bit odd, so I’m glad devs are doing something about it.

Solus looks like a distro that could make me step outside of the Debian-based distro world, since Solus looks like the distro that manages to be both stable and rolling release at the same time.

On Solus?

I’m pretty happy with it right now. Occasionally I look for some little program and can’t find it, but it’s uncommon. Snaps help a lot.

I would really like to see md support in the installer, but I’m mainly concerned with what’s going to happen with it from here on. Idk if the project has enough people to survive long term. Someone will have to step up.

I am currently running Manjaro, which is also my first Linux experience, and would like to know if Solus will run as good on my Macbook Pro as Manjaro does?

Relative performance of Solus to Manjaro will depend a lot on which DE you are using in Manjaro

Main difference is likely to be that Solus has limited package availability for better stability
Manjaro has Arch User Repository access to almost any Linux package needed, but no guarantee that the package will work well with a particular system

I really like Solus, but it does not have some Linux tools and packages I rely on