Solid earbuds with mic controls?

I'm having difficulty finding a solid set of earbuds (not in-ears; does NOT go in ear canal). I'm looking for something solid to listen to at work. I do have a good pair of in-ears, but the sound isolation is too much. I'd still like to be aware of my surroundings. I also find in-ears fatiguing after a few hours causing discomfort.

I don't have a set budget, but I'm not looking to spend more than $20, but I'm primarily looking for value, so I am willing to pay more if features/quality warrants.

I'm looking at the VE Monks on Masdrop, but I'm having trouble spending over $20 for the "$5 earbuds". Comes out to $20 with Android mic controls and extra tips/wings, plus $3 shipping.

I also found the Edifier P180 which look promising as well.
I'd like some additional weigh-in or recommendations before a make a purchase.
Thanks and happy new year's!

Just get the Monk Plus Android/Apple for $10 and around $3 for shipping. The great thing about VE Monk Plus is the amount of value you get out of $10. If you want to spend more then the cheap go to headphones are Kossprotapros but they dont't have mic control.

The shipping for me took about a week. You get a huge amount of bang/buck and you also don't have to worry about losing them because they're so cheap. If you don't like the Monk Plus you can look into the Amazon Earbuds, flat cables and magnets to help you keep it in order while its in your pockets.