SOHO Network++ - Optimal Cooling - Multiple servers virtualized

TL;DR - How are people cooling their 6-8+ core 24/7 home servers these days? Wondering home many all-day fans I can avoid running for maintainence/uptime/throttling rather than audibility concerns.

My potential project:

• CoolerMaster CM Stacker 830 (4 fans blowing straight down on mobo).
  • Ryzen 7 2700 minimum CPU; might go Ryzen 5 2600 or Ryzen 7 2700. Either way, all the same cooling ballpark.
  • Usual spinning rust/SSD combinations, good but not best RAM, addon NIC’s as needed, etc…
  • Virtualize Firewall, PLEX, NAS, Home Automation, Cameras, and more as needed. Might pull Firewall off into a Qotom/Protectli appliance; software issue for later, but those devices made me ponder cooling in the virtualized scenario optimally.

Currently I’m comparing (specific products due to change; espeically liquimax with chinese tap water biologics recently) options like:

Shouldn’t handle my CPU’s, but maybe with the case’s 4 mobo fans:

Doesn’t avoid fans, but maybe it’s the best option in the long run to throw money at the issue to get more performance, stability, and just embrace the spinning motors:

CM 830 Case isn’t usual home server case, but I want to put it to use as I have loved it for years:

I’m mostly wondering what options I have outside the traditional spinning fan on the CPU (and elsewhere) in this scenario to reduce downtime/maintainence concerns. Sealed loop liquid options is a nominal buck to push overclock performance (someday™) a bit safely the more I ponder it.

Maybe I’ll just start with a normal good fan, no clock tweaks on radar, and be prepared to call an audible later ensuring I keep temp/throttling monitoring closely over the years… and keep a backup set of fans lying around.

Ideas?

I use the stock cooler on my R7 2700 based proxmox server.

3 Likes

My 16c TR2 server is cooled by a 360mm AIO. I have four intake fans in addition to three exhaust fans on the radiator. I try to keep the chassis “positive pressure”, pushing more air in than exhausting keeps the dust building minimized.

All the fans hover around their lowest RPM, sometimes speeding up if I’m doing something demanding on the box.

The box it replaced, an 8c Xeon e5-2667v2 was cooled by a 240mm AIO. That machine ran 24x7 for years and years, even during very hot 43+C afternoons (no hvac in my hardware lab / workshop). That chassis had 2x 120mm exhaust fans and a huge low speed intake fan. It was sorta negative pressure and would build up dust after 4-5 months of service.

1 Like

Bit more research… above and similiar.

Not sure at this point if passive is worth it for the price to make it workable compared to the alternative at the same price vs low risk concerns. Fan wear shouldn’t be on my radar.

isnt that cooler compatible with only AM3 mount points?

Yup.

Not sure which motherboard I’m using to mitgate that potential, or if there are equivilent AM4 options. The fact it was technologically possible was of interest.