Software you should know about: A's Video Converter (Windows only)

http://bluesky23.yukishigure.com/en/AsVideoConv.html

Prominent features:

• It’s freeware (tho he does say donations are welcome).
  • Primarily supports GPU decoding & encoding
    – AMD support for H.264 is fine, but H.265 is only available with R9 4XX series GPUs.
    – Nvidia is fully supported with NVENC & H.264.
  • Supports up to 8 videos transcoding at the same time.
  • Has a Watch Folder feature to auto-convert as files are added to it.
  • Uses Avisynth for editing and adding filters to video like Handbrake.
  • Supports Batch transcoding and Combine transcoding (i.e. queues and combining videos)

The 7.0 beta added support for many new things relatively recently (within a month):

• Added support for Dolby AC3, ALAC and FLAC encoding
  • Added support for AAC, ALAC, FLAC and Opus encoding using external encoder
  • Added support for multi audio stream
  • Added support for 5.1ch audio
  • Added support for MKV output using MKVToolNix
  • Added “Use time codes” option for external muxer
  • Added “Include sub folder” and “Start on startup” option for folder watch
  • Fixed issue when using Avisynth filter
  • Many changes and fixes

Also see this guy’s other software: Bluesky Video Capture

It’s pretty cool software imo, because it natively supports things Handbrake doesn’t. I personally would use it more if other AMD GPUs were supported for H.265, but until then, I’m stuck with Handbrake.

Just thought I’d share.

I used to try a ton of software from virtualdub,dvdshrink to those gimmicky all in one software like SUPER. Now I only use Handbrake and M$ Movie Maker.

This hd video coverter: http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/shn-converter.html is a good video/audio converter I use. It costs a few but have solved many probelm on playback. I will try the A’s video converter, as well.

1 Like

Neat.

Thanks for posting here. This made me look at A’s Video Converter again, and I found that it was updated 5 days ago after a 4 month hiatus.

Features
This program is a video converter using AMD, Intel, NVIDIA and Microsoft Encoder, and it has the following features.
Hardware H.264 and H.265/HEVC encode using AMD VCE (Video Codec Engine)
Hardware H.264 and H.265/HEVC encode using Intel QSV (Quick Sync Video)1
Hardware H.264 and H.265/HEVC encode using NVIDIA NVENC
Software H.264 and H.265/HEVC encode*1

Changes
Version 7.2.0 (08/20/2017)
Please be sure to uninstall the old version before installing version 7.2.0.

Integrated 32bit version and 64bit version
Added “Pre-Analysis” and “VBAQ” setting for VCE H.264 encoder
Added “VBV Buffer Size” setting for VCE H.264/H.265 encoder
Added “Auto” option in min and max QP setting
Resolved interlace encoding problem when using VCE H.264 encoder under specific conditions
Resolved transcode problem when using QSV encoder with hardware decoding
Optimized behavior when using VCE/QSV/NVENC encoder with hardware decoding
Fixed issue at dynamic format change when using VCE/QSV/NVENC encoder with hardware decoding
Improved transcode performance when using VCE/QSV/NVENC encoder with software decoding
Fixed conversion stop issue under specific conditions when using VCE/QSV/NVENC encoder
Fixed transcode issue when running hardware decode under specific conditions
Improved behavior of hardware preprocessor for AMD Radeon GPU
Resolved color shift problem when enabling AMD Fluid Motion Video under specific conditions
Fixed audio sync issue in internal mp4 muxer when convert frame rate using hardware preprocessor
Hardware preprocessor and software preprocessor are now exclusive
Added support for audio pass-through
Added support for 8ch audio
Fixed transcode issue when audio delay was set to minus
Fixed could not select audio track when selecting internal mp4 muxer
Added support to select temporary folder
Changed system requirements
Minor changes and fixes

It now supports all types of hardware encoding (only on Windows 10, but still). Very neat.

how do i get settings to almost losslessly compress Videos from 4k?

use Mpeg Streamclip with Quicktime alternative or something similar and use a low compression format like Avid HDNX, Prores 422, AVC-Intra Codec or the like. H.264 and H.265 are lossy and once you start pushing the data rate to get it to almost lossless you are in these guys data rate ranges anyways.

Resurrecting.

How much faster is using the GPU compared to a cpu in terms of time it took to complete a job?

Interesting. In only two years, A’s went from 7.0 to 7.8.

1 Like

Much, much faster.

1 Like

Too bad GPUs result I poorer quality. Although, when I seen images comparing the two I could hardly tell a difference between a cpu done encode and a gpu done encode

Only if the settings are such. Even with identical settings, GPUs can push through more data faster than a CPU can.

1 Like

Ooo. So the people who say that doing encoding via a gpu would result in a poorer quality image are wrong?

Yes. Because that has no context.

Encoding with a CPU with the wrong settings would result in poorer quality. They’re saying that assuming whoever they’re talking to wouldn’t bother learning how to fine tune encoding.

1 Like

Hey thanks for all the software options. However i generally just rely on google results or some top ranked websites for useful software and i must admit they work quite well.