Social Media but reasonably?

The problem lies quite deeply imho … it’s called javascript. It is javascript that is the leak vector of many information that the user would not necessarily want to share.
Blocking the js function is possible with the help of Luminous: JavaScript events blocker but once that requires sisyphean labor in creating rules and at the same time many websites will stop working properly. Such game of cat and mouse …

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/which-javascript-events-are-dangerous-to-have-enabled

Alternatively, you can think of something like https://turbo.net

Seems a bit pricey compared to a vm+vpn solution.

I just throw a wet paper towel at the wall, maybe something sticks or maybe not … :slight_smile:

I’ll throw in my 2 cents :slight_smile:
I have a fb account, and check it a few times a day, but very rarely post something.
Like you intend to, I mostly use the message aspect, because that’s what my friends and family do.
I deleted the facebook app from my phone long ago.
On my phone and pc I use a seperate browser to check facebook, and the messenger apps on my phone and tablet for messeages. Though not for text messages, thats the stock sms app from Samsung.

In my opinion, It’s not worth it to setup a vm and vpn just to check facebook.
The point of messenger is to be able to respond easily, which isn’t gonna be the case if you have to fire up a vm and connect to a vpn. And only from your computers.
I seperated facebook to another browser to make it more difficult for fb to track my browsing habbits, though they propably still can to some extent. But fb is nothing compared to google, and they run my phones os…
But imo, if you can’t quickly and easily reapons to a message on messenger, then it’s kinda pointless.
The messenger apps has zero permissions on my devices. But it’s android/google, so privacy is a mood point anyway.
I’ve loosened my tin foil hat over the last year, and I think my level of fb security is a fine balance between privacy and convenience :slight_smile:

For desktop, maybe Tails was made for this? https://tails.boum.org/

For mobile, maybe you can set up something like a Moonlight (on your mobile phone+android emulator) on the desktop? But this requires an nvidia GPU and a fast internet connection. I dont know if this would ban you somehow

Also consider a used/second hand account for a new account and be a weirdo and ask people to call you a a different name (and hope that they will comply to your request)?

Maybe get a different set of circle of friends?

I found Tails already but the more I read about tor, the less I like it.

Not sure what you mean by that, is moonlight some kind of app?
Well, it doesn’t really matter because…

Aaaaand it’s out. :yum:

K, thx, bye! :vulcan_salute::smiley:

I am currently in the settings menu of lubuntu 19.10 running in a virtualbox. So, I have pretty much decided on what it’s gonna be.
(and it feels really snappy btw)

Thanks to everyone for ideas. I have learned things through this. :wink:

Moonlight is for streaming games into your cellphone but you can also stream other stuff. Hence the android emulator. Maybe there are other streaming service (VNC?) that can do this

As for the different set of friends, it was meant to obfuscate (somehow although facebook will likely see through this) your old set of friends from your new set of friends. Get several accounts so your Vehn diagram of old friends is not the same as other. Like container technology but for friends. Get old account 1 for friends from highschool, another old account for friends from college and so forth. It wasnt meant to get new friends per se.

1 Like

If OP wants separation … and he has the resources to keep vm turned on and it doesn’t cause him a problem, why not? You can also buy the cheapest vps and keep your web browser 24/7 online there and only connect to the server with at least x2go. Available from almost any device anywhere in the world. And maintaining a remote connection does not impose any significant burden on local resources.

Of course, as always, the question will arise whether it is worth doing it and you would have to spend a few dollars a month … There are several solutions, the question of what we really want to achieve at the end of the day.

1 Like

Of course.
It was just my own opinion on the subject of fb and privacy.
But yes, my post was more on the; is it necessary, rather than how to do it.
In which case OP should disregard my post :slight_smile:
It was my two cents on the subject, but it did indeed not provide any answers to his quistion.

All good, you and @regulareel are kind slightly to either side of me on the matter. Which is fine. :+1:

The more I think/read about the ways facebook is profiling people, the more I tend to agree with you, @Donk. Especially if you have used facebook in the past without really thinking about it, it’s almost impossible to hide. I bet their shadowprofile is still actively tracking me.

… fuck!

Indeed fuck.

Before I got into computers and tin foil hats, I used fb waaay too much, and gave them too much data on me.
As I have mentioned, I do what I can to make it a bit more difficult for them to get any further data on me.
But then again, if fb don’t know it, our overlord Google does.

But I kinda do the VM/vpn thing the other way around.
If I’m going on the webs, and don’t want google/fb/my isp to link what I do to me, I fire up a VM, and connect through a vpn.
I don’t mind doing it that way, since it’s not that often I do.
But messenger has to be convenient, otherwise there is no point.

1 Like

Many, many years ago, when we were still using irc and icq with people on a daily basis, keeping a 24/7 online session on the server was a typical solution, shell+screen+irssi. Whether it’s a shell on a machine at the university or a friend’s server at work. Later after 2000, the most popular commercial shell services began to take shape. Good old times irc and xdcc :slight_smile:

As for the messenger … I personally do not use fb but what a problem would it be to just run vm at the start of your computer and just have another active window. It’s not that much more uncomfortable than just starting the next program. Well, unless in 2019 people are so lazy that everything literally must be in one web browser. :wink:

Personally, I would prefer a small server and have a web browser only for fb all the time and use x2go directly to the program session without the background of the remote desktop. Almost the same as with vm but without having to run vm locally.

But let everyone choose the solution that suits them best, as well as choosing the right clothes. :wink:

That sounds like it predates my pc user experience :slight_smile: I did use microsoft messenger back when that was a thing.

Not all of us work at a desktop :upside_down_face: So as for me, thats not really an option, and at home I don’t have my pc running 24/7 :slight_smile:
I don’t know what OP does for a living, or if he’s pc’s are running 24/7. But if he does, it’s certainly an option :slight_smile:

Oh yes, sometimes I forget about mobile and… :wink:
For OP, it’s probably not a problem, whether on a pc or laptop, vm should not be a problem. Especially that they are probably not very old computers with 0.5-1GB RAM because then vm begins to be annoying.

Do you use any social media solution? Or have you just come to terms with fate. :wink:

For someone who would like separation and availability 24/7 and be able to use it from any device, you can rent a cheap vps server and vnc client pc / android, ios … Internet browser away from you, traffic does not leave either your device or the network .
And when it comes to the convenience of access to the messenger is a matter of running vnc on any device and you already have access to the web browser in which FB is running. :wink:

But it’s fun for

1 Like

… ugh, weirdo :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :stuck_out_tongue:

I honestly don’t know which way I’m gonna go with this. I have a few other things to do as well so I’ll put this aside for a minute. Currently I think I’ll try to contain it in a VM first and if that is too annoying I might re-evaluate later.

You guys are not making it easier to decide which way to go. And I appreciate that. :wink:

1 Like

For fun, I would buy a cheap vps for three months for $5 total cost and do the tests. :wink:

Np :slight_smile: That’s where my convenience argument stems from. Desktop is a different matter :slight_smile:

I use a seperate browser for logging into fb, both on my pc and mobile.
I have been thinking about stopping checking fb on mobile, since I don’t do it as much anymore. I have been an addict a few years ago, but I broke that bad habit :slight_smile:
And this thread have given me a nudge in that direction. If I only log into fb on desktop, I can use nordvpn’s browser plugin, and seperate fb from my ip address.
But as for messenger, I’ll continue using their android app. It doesn’t have permission for anything, so I think (hope) that it doesn’t have the ability to snoop on me. And I don’t even know what vnc is :slight_smile:
I have somewhat come to terms with fate, but more in regard to google. Especially since I use a lot of their services.

But I do also enjoy my tin foil hat. But it isn’t as tight as it used to :upside_down_face:

You obviously don’t have the same cost pr kwh as we do here in Denmark :wink:

If it proves to be too annoying, I’ll recommend a seperate browser with a vpn add on. It connects only the browser it’s added to, to a vpn :slight_smile: