Social Media Alternatives | Minds & Diaspora*

So, Facebook has been in the news …

Like many in this community, I’m not surprised about the ‘Facebook Scandal’. I don’t think it’s much of a scandal, I don’t know how anyone thought this wasn’t going on. Possibly unlike many here, I don’t really care if FB sells the data that they have on me. I know that my data in the future may be used in some harmful way - how, I’m not sure - but I could also slip in the shower or get hit by a car if I leave the house. Sure, I could avoid those things entirely, but that’s not how I choose to live my life.

Though comparing the abstinence of social media to not showering or becoming a recluse isn’t really fair, and finding an alternative social media platform should be easier than finding an alternative to bathing or sunshine.

My only hesitation to giving up Facebook is that I view it as the 21st century phone book. When I want to contact someone I haven’t talked to in a while, I can always look them up there. So although I doubt there will be a mass exodus from Facebook, I thought it was worth looking at some alternatives. The two I’ve stumbled upon so far are Minds and Diaspora*. To me, the pros and cons of each:

Minds

Pros

• Open Source
  • Transparent Monetization
  • Unsegregated
  • Encryption and Privacy Policy

Cons

• Centralized data repository
  • Third Party Trust

Diaspora*

Pros

• Open Source
  • Decentralized

Cons

• Decentralized
  • Sounds like a combination of bowel movements and fungi
  • Server storage unencrypted
  • Segregated Communities

I haven’t tried either yet. I’m wondering if Diaspora* is really as segregated as I think it is. Can people from one community / pod communicate with people from another community / pod?

Also, does anyone here use either of these platforms? What’s your experience with them?

I think I’ll try each one for a week and give an update on my experience, but it would be great to hear some opinions!

** Update 2 minutes later **
Users from different pods are able to communicate and find each other. I’ll wait to add more about how it works though.

1 Like

Diaspora’s protocol is also supported by a few others, can’t say the same about Minds I don’t think:

If your concern is being able to communicate with as many people as possible, Hubzilla and Friendica seem to have many more supported protocols than the others.

I like Gab

I deleted my facebook account a few years ago

Back to basics like email and PGP for end to end encryption.

Every new platform if centralized will be exploited by some government.

Hack the user or torture them for a password to break there chat is ok. Platforms that are just broken for everyone. Then everyone can see the communications. US, Russia, Nth Korea, China and of course Australia the underdog is insane.