So you hate Windows 8

For the h8ers

so what exactly is your point?

you drag on about how people dislike microsoft, and then about metro, but except for "hurr i liek metro" you dont really show any reason to why its better than windows 7, which was a functional useful OS without the kiddy style tiles

I didn't watch it, but i plan on upgrading my OS to windows 8 for the faster boot times, 1 click reformats, and the new task manager. Of course i will be running classic shell and i may just wait for SP1 while i'm at it. If he didn't mention any of that then to the OP i say, flame on nerd. Flame on.

"Trying to merge a real OS into the smart devices."

Tablets = not for real work or media creation tool and you're saying that because Microsoft can run Office on a tablet is doing it right? Look at Microsoft's Surface Pro. It has an ULV Intel i5 processor and runs full Windows 8 (which also happens to take almost half of the storage on the 32Gb model). It's terrible for work because of the tablet form factor and terrible as a tablet because of the 4 hour battery life. What is it good for?

"The devices are not designed for it" - I wonder why…

"Phones to take over the world…" - And posting the most unsuccessful products from the past years is really helping your case.

"We need combined experience" - I don't want to have the same experience between my desktop, laptop or phone. Its a terrible idea.

Instead of saying "you can remove, add and organize the apps on the start screen, which is great." you blabber about it for minutes and play some frog game afterwards. You expect people to take you seriously?

About the W8 shortcuts, I know them and they seem logical until you get to the settings. Windows key + I. Who came up with that? Why not Win+S? 1. S = settings 2. Its actually do-able with the left hand. 3. It makes sense.

"If Microsoft weren't here, nobody would have any option except to do what Apple says." and "Linux is a joke and a bad one." - First you were calling out Windows 8 haters and now you're hating on Linux? What a hypocrite.

No thank you, I'll stick with my Windows 7.

There are always going to be power user but the single device isn't going away.  The point is currently tablets aren't ready to be production tools but that is what Microsoft is moving towards with Windows 8.  This change isn't going to happen overnight,  It is going take years but microsoft is first one to start the move on this scale.  The 4 hour battery life is related to the processor required to run .exe programs.  Microsoft is moving away from this.

As much as people flip out about change there would be ZERO chance that MS could come out with Win8 and zero support for .exe.  It is going to be years before it totally happens, just like the move from 32bit to 64bit

A couple of vendors failed with a huge sized phone and everyone said it wasn't going to work, now look at the Galaxy Note.  The idea is right they didn’t nail it though.  I am pulling for MS to be the hammer.

You don’t want the same experience?  I’d love a phone that could do everything my PC can, are you kidding me you don’t want that?

You can take me serious or not that is your call.  If you can’t see how much nicer Win8 interface is compared to the 20 year start menu.. well bro I can’t help you.  Funny you being up the S = setting… In watching Logan’s rant on Windows 8 they also wanted to use the S… however for search…. So should it be settings or search… you can’t make everyone happy.

I am not a hypocrite.  My bashing has reasons that are justifiable unlike the fad hating on Microsoft.  Did you watch the Linux sucks video I posted a link to?  If not watch it and get back to me.  If you don’t agree with guy’s points let me know.  It is the reasons why Linux isn’t ready for normal users. 

I should also mention this video is more directed for the normal users.  Not super power users (5%ers).   You have to remember most users aren’t like the people on this forum.  Most people could get by with apps and an OS that could be run by the power in the newer smartphones.  People don’t want a phone, tablet and a PC with their crap spread across them all.  If you think in 5 -10 years you’ll walk in to Best Buy and see a desktop, well Best Buy will probably be out of business by then but I am doubtful you’ll find an old brick.

I bought a oem w7, like 3 months ago xd

"There are always going to be power user but the single device isn't going away." - Wait, when was that form factor here?

"The point is currently tablets aren't ready to be production tools but that is what Microsoft is moving towards with Windows 8." - Tablets aren't for work because of the tablet form factor, no amount of software is going to change that.

"The 4 hour battery life is related to the processor required to run .exe programs. Microsoft is moving away from this." - With Windows RT, not with Windows 8. Also the battery life is related to the x86 platform's minimum power consumption, which is quite high compared to ARM chipsets.

"It is going to be years before it totally happens, just like the move from 32bit to 64bit" - Windows STILL hasn't moved from 32-bit to fully 64-bit, which is stupid because developers have to make 2 versions of their software if they want to have compatibility for 32-bit OS and use more than 4Gb of RAM on a 64-bit system.

"You don’t want the same experience? I’d love a phone that could do everything my PC can, are you kidding me you don’t want that?" - Try sticking a phone interface onto a 27" 2560x1440 display and vice versa. It isn't going to work. Again, it comes to the form factor and whats do-able with the performance and screen real estate set by the device's limitation.

"If you can’t see how much nicer Win8 interface is compared to the 20 year start menu.. well bro I can’t help you." - Yes, its nicer than the previous versions of the start screen (I never said it wasn't), but the way you we're presenting it can't be taken seriously.

F = Find

S = Settings

See? Everyone's happy.

About the "Linux sucks" video. Yes, I've watched it while ago and I agree on some of the points, but for the average consumer it would be more than enough. Unless the average consumer is always using Photoshop and video editing, in which case Linux does suck.

“Wait, when was that form factor here?”  I posted the links

“Tablets aren't for work because of the tablet form factor, no amount of software is going to change that.”  If you can attach a keyboard and mouse to the tablet how is it any different than a laptop other than software that Windows 8 is trying to fix?

“With Windows RT, not with Windows 8. Also the battery life is related to the x86 platform's minimum power consumption, which is quite high compared to ARM chipsets.”  That is my point. MS is moving towards ARM based programs because of x86’s battery problems.  Windows 8 RP (Pro, power users) runs classic (x86) and modern (ARM) APPs.  Windows 8 RT just modern apps (ARM).  That is today…  MS couldn’t just come out and say no more x86 support.  It takes time to move the platform.  It has to be backwards compatible.

“Windows STILL hasn't moved from 32-bit to fully 64-bit, which is stupid because developers have to make 2 versions of their software if they want to have compatibility for 32-bit OS and use more than 4Gb of RAM on a 64-bit system.”  That is because normal users don’t need it.  There isn’t a drive for it.  There is a drive for ARM based apps.

“Try sticking a phone interface onto a 27" 2560x1440 display and vice versa. It isn't going to work. Again, it comes to the form factor and whats do-able with the performance and screen real estate set by the device's limitation.” Of course if you have a bigger screen the app will need to be able to adapt.  My Nexus 10 has 2560-by-1600 screen and Android works fine on my 4” phone also.  For normal users the APPs won’t have issues in different sizes.  Email, webpage, movies, texting. Etc…  I think you are worried about the power users (as noted by the 2560x1440 screen). 

Power users don’t make up the PC market, it is normal users.  Instead of just saying how it is never going to work why not think of how it could work and how you would want it work.  So smartphones don’t have enough horsepower to run a video rendering software.  Okay,  How about a docking station that has extra processors to handle that extra work?  The power user issue is a problem but I don’t think it is going to stop the single device movement because it isn’t a big enough road block.

“ Yes, its nicer than the previous versions of the start screen (I never said it wasn't), but the way you we're presenting it can't be taken seriously.

F = Find

S = Settings

See? Everyone's happy.”

Here is why they didn’t use it, at least my guess, have you hit Windows key + F?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/springboard/archive/2008/09/19/capture-screenshots-windows-key-s-key.aspx

I just read a report that came out from Gartner about enterprise tablets a notebook replacements.  I’ll quote them “By 2016, 30% of all enterprise end-user mobile computing device purchases (exclusive of smartphones) will be tablets.” 

http://www.gartner.com/DisplayDocument?doc_cd=236317&ref=g_sitelink

Also worth watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv1Z7bf4jXY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u76XOxTW4BA

While you may not like the direction it is heading, but it is going that way.  Microsoft has to move in to that direction if they want to say in business. 

"I posted the links" - Those happened to be the most unsuccessful products from past years. They never went "mainstream" like an iPad and thus I was saying that they never were here.

"Here is why they didn’t use it, at least my guess, have you hit Windows key + F? http://blogs.msdn.com/b/springboard/archive/2008/09/19/capture-screenshots-windows-key-s-key.aspx" - The link states that it's a MS OneNote feature, not related to OS. So Microsoft didn't change 1 shortcut in OneNote and made the OS cumbersome for everyone. Great.

Ubuntu for Android, at the moment looks quite slow (5-7 seconds to open the browser), but maybe there will be ARM based hardware that is powerful enough for everyday tasks. Also, the "all data on one device" doesn't sound very good since everything is reliant on that one device and could be easily lost or broken.

I've had scenarios where I come home from school, turn on my desktop and it refuses to boot into the desktop. I install my backup installation drive to my computer, restore all data and software to the backup drive and everything works like expected. That took around 30-45 minutes total and I have everything running fine again.

Imagine if this was one device, like a tablet, you couldn't repair it yourself, all of your school, work, media and other content was on that device and it wouldn't work. Even if you had a backup of your content, you would still in a total halt until you get a replacement device or get the it back from repair. If its a phone and not a tablet, then you're even more screwed.

The conveniency of having all data on one device is accomplished via cloud based syncing. Today's infrastructure should be fast enough for syncing files between devices with a breeze. I live in the middle of nowhere and they are installing fibre optic internet at the moment and fast LTE connections are becoming more popular everywhere. It's more convenient and device independent, making it a better option across the board.

For windows 9 they need two versions a power user version and a version for touch screen smart phones.

Gonna get killed with stones in a second, but i use modified installation of Vista.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RO7QbCqFY7Y

WAT

Care to elaborate on this choice?

Im Sure windows 8 would be lovely on a tablet.......but iv not enjoyed it for a second on my Laptop and am rolling back to 7 as I type.

Hating on Windows is not something I do recreationally, and im far from a fanboy for any OS but after a couple of days using windows 8 I know it wont fulfill my day to day needs on a laptop/desktop