So security audit today

A secure wifi ? is that even possible ? :rofl: Even the latest wifi protocol is problematic and its not even secure enough imo.

Now theres WPA3 coming out but I have a feeling this will get very easy to hack in no time. Theres also the VPN which you can use top of the wifi but still… If anyone can get access to a wifi and get your packets even if its encrypted…they have your data no matter what.

so wifi and security doesn’t fit together imo. Its strange to see the FBI use wifi which everyone knows its not secure at all.

Name it “HP Officejet Pro 8600e”

4 Likes

Hiding the SSID is stupid, but our auditors did tell us to name our SSIDs something not associated with our company, which seemed slightly silly but not worth arguing over.

I suggest going with “Apartment 4F” or “Billy’s Netgear” rather than a printer, as that would just confuse the heck out of the non-technical people.

Any network name used is just going to confuse staff and approved visitors. To a hacker or even script kiddie It’s going to be obvious that wifi network regardless of its name belongs to the agency who owns this large government looking structure, surrounded by perimeter fence, flood lights, etc, by itself in an industrial area of town.

I do like using the printer name, that’s a good LOL right there :smile:

We’re also suffering constant hacking attacks and threats from various government(s) agencies (if they can be called that), as well as from various parties in the private sector (who may or may not be contracted by governments).

Our buildings have our logo on, our wifi ssids mostly have our company name in them. … I don’t think changing the wifi ssid would help much against e.g. off the books branches of your agency.

We did find interesting implants (or so we thought) once in Kimberly Clark branded “smart” bathroom hand towel dispensers, apparently they’re meant to count usage and order more paper towels… I don’t think Kimberly Clark should have this info (proxy for building occupancy), as innocent as it sounds… Maybe you could distract your auditors by having them x-ray bathroom equipment.

Edit: On a more serious note, auditors should give you their checklist. And some stations (phones) will actively look for a network by their ssid , it puts the individual using the device at slightly higher risk, depending on circumstances