So, MS announced Windows 10 S and to me, the "S" stands for "Shit"

nothing ever will

4 Likes

Obligitory stallman meme

5 Likes

GNO? Am I not getting the joke or is it a typo?

Not getting the joke, it's based off of the first line of Watchmen, the comic

Well, technically with an exception of the Xbox, everytime Microsoft tried to get into the consumer space, it was a failure. Microsoft shines in business and the only reason why people bought Computers with Windows was from the business Halo Effect.

I don't think we'll ever see a "year of the Linux Desktop" because the average consumer doesn't care about the Desktop, but I'd rather see a "Year of the Linux Multimedia workstation". Yeah, Linux has it's own stuff like KdenLive, but Kdenlive is mostly useful for people that remember using it 10 years ago as a teenager without money and gotten used to it and it's not for people that don't want to pay in lost productivity that Adobe has to offer that's not in Kdenlive and the Kdenlive users don't know what they're missing and their workflow doesn't have Adobe exclusive features. So, if you want a Linux Multimedia Workstation, you need Adobe for the people that already use Adobe.

If you have 15 Min to burn, (or 7.5Min at 2x speed) you'll see what a nice convenience feature that's in a new version of Blender has and how convoluted the old way was in comparison. No imagine something like that but comparing Kdenlive to Adobe.

TL;DR: An "alternative" isn't the same as a replacement.

I saw the "S" version as M$'s way of trying to copy ChromeOS's style in an attempt to trap cusumers in the M$ ecosystem, essentially cheating customers by giving them a half-baked version of Windows 10. Def not for me