So... I've got a bit of a laptop problem

Back in early August I was on the hunt for a laptop for college next year as my mom was originally going to be selling insurance and needed hers back. I saw a 2014 Razer Blade 14 for relatively cheap ($500) and figured that if things didn’t work out then it’d be a small loss.

I get it and it works great. Fastest laptop I’ve ever owned. Best built quality of any laptop I’ve ever owned. But ehh… I reinstall Windows 10 on it for gaming purposes and things don’t go so well. The screen flickers at anything above 40hz. I’ve confirmed it’s the screen and not the GPU. Works fine with an external monitor at the full frame rate. Okay, a slight problem. Can’t use my magnifier as the refresh rate is adaptive.

Well, I know it’s a small complaint but the screen was too small. My visual impaorment didn’t really allow me to use it effectively.

My brother comes along and needs a laptop for homeschool. So I let him borrow mine. He likes it so much he wants to buy it from me and a month later tells me that he can’t afford to. So I buy him a cheap $100 laptop off of eBay.

So again, I’m accepting this as a loss. But I just turned 18 in April so I’ve been taking on a lot more adult responsibilities. My mom has had me buy tons of stuff for her including groceries and all of that. It adds up.

Well, now I’m piss poor and that $500 I thought I could handle as a loss is coming back to haunt me.

I’ve tried selling it. The front most foot fell off of it too so there’s that as well. First guy offered $300 but at first seemed like a real dick about it so I didn’t want to deal with him. Haven’t heard from anyone since.

So… I’m in a conundrum and don’t know what to do with it. I can’t get any usage out of it.

Like I said, amazing and beautiful laptop but the small screen combined with the refresh rate problem really screwed me

So what are you trying to get from the community? I am not quite sure where you are trying to go with this post, are your trying to sell it or is this a blog style post, not really sure where you are going with this post.

Nowhere. Just spilling my thoughts out. Thought it could be inferred

Should have gotten a macbook like I told you fam.

I wouldn’t have been able to afford one. Even by the time I went to college. $300 rent + $200 groceries on average. It’s crazy. I’m waiting on FAFSA. Actually staying home that day to fill out the app. They cover the first $1k. I think I might be able to fix the Razers screen problem though. I bet it’s a loose cable. I’m still dissapointed lol. I’ll listen next time :wink:

FAFSA or the school doesn’t give you money to get a computer?

My local community college hooks you up with an in house loan of up to 1k to buy a computer.

Anyway bro. Good luck on the screen, hopefully it is just a loose cable issue.

And good luck at college btw. Party hard but study harder. :brain:

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

I have my application in with the School of Mines (they sent me their Golden Application so I believe I’ll get in), and I’ve been working on my applications for Stanford (where I would like to go), MIT, UBC, Berkeley, UW, and CU Boulder… Not that I expect to hear from any of them except for CU, but I’m hopeful. Did pretty average for a highschooler. I will have taken 17 AP courses but I didn’t do so well in a few. My TVI told me to push the whole epileptic blind guy thing so we’ll see.

My mom just needed her laptop back to sell insurance so I needed one that same month or I’d have to go without for an entire year which I can’t do.

1 Like

WOAH. That’s a bunch! I only took like… 3.

Those will definitely help you out, bro. Colleges love seeing that you pushed yourself to take an AP class.

I was going to go here. I watched a video on… their library? I don’t really remember what room it was now. But it was some room that was huge and had a huge computer lab and some other cool tech things in it. I gotta find that video. That’s what sold me about the school.

I also forgot if they are the ones that do national weed day on 4/20, or if that was the other Colorado school.

And why Stanford over MIT?

I like that Standard specializes more in other fields outside of technology so it makes a minor much more viable than what you get from MIT which is pure technology oriented. And I don’t know what it is about Boston but it looks a little boring from what I’ve seen where as Palo Alto is close to several startups with internship possibilities and all of that. Ultimately though, I’d like to live in Washington, Oregon, or stay here in Colorado. I need the mountauns and beauty lol.

And it’s probably CU. I don’t like the demographic of Boulder honestly though. I just know it’s a decent school. Wouldn’t take it over the mines though. Especially for a CS major that’s engineering oriented.

1 Like