So is openbsd or freebsd better?

In fairness to FreeBSD, it has a lot of security features that OpenBSD does not, including jails, multiple firewall options, capsicum, and soon veriexec.

3 Likes

Yup

But I guess that’s also an illustration of the FreeBSD approach. Build stuff. Rather than code audit.

Even people who do not use openbsd have a lot to thank them for. They’re responsible for finding and fixing so many bugs in other projects. Or starting their own project if the code base is too far gone. Eg. Libressl

4 Likes

While OpenBSD deserves every bit of credit for their hard work, that shouldn’t be twisted to somehow suggest that other projects don’t put a lot of effort into security too. Let’s not start bashing on differences.

2 Likes

Oh, agreed. That’s not what i’m trying to get at, at all.

In fact…

Just that the OpenBSD team make very real trade-offs. Functionality comes very much SECOND, as opposed to virtually every other platform where development is a balance of actually having a functional platform for getting shit done, rather than “we refuse to implement X because it isn’t secure”.

That’s the point i was originally trying to make. OpenBSD can be a bitch of a platform at times because functionality (and performance) comes second. SMP for example was totally useless for ages. I’m still not sure if it even has an SMP aware scheduler (And if it does, you can guarantee it isn’t as performant as FreeBSD or Linux) because for me, i’d never bother to deploy it (and haven’t bothered to keep up to the minute on it). I consider FreeBSD to be “secure enough”.

1 Like

Another strong point of OpenBSD is actually the desktop installation and laptop/nic drivers, surprisingly. The OpenBSD developers are good at dogfooding and so it is a pretty good experience on commodity laptop hardware.

2 Likes

OpenBSD on public frontend servers (which can usually be scaled horizontally) with FreeBSD on the backend for databases and stuff that’s private but needs to be high performance and reliable, sounds like a good combo

2 Likes

Will definitely try this out.

@redgek

3 Likes

I was thinking about going FreeBSD for storage and OpenBSD for other server.

4 Likes

That’s another good use case.

OpenBSD is security focused above all else. It belongs on the edge. Where performance or functionality or vendor support is more important (i.e., internal/back end application servers) you’ll likely have an easier time with FreeBSD.

Also, and this is something that many don’t consider that i think is relevant - having a heterogeneous compute environment does make life slightly more difficult for an adversary.

If you’re Open/Free/NetBSD everywhere or Windows everywhere then one kernel exploit possibly fucks your entire fleet. If you have a mix of platforms (and in particular a different edge to internal platform) you’ve at least raised the bar slightly for an attacker (in my view, anyway).

2 Likes

I got banned from the openbsd IRC like 7 years ago so I am going to say FreeBSD.

4 Likes

FreeBSD … Also since ghostBSD is its base … And that’s great for new users I’d definitely give the plus to freeBSD

Did you say Nvidia or TCP?

2 Likes

They told me to look something up on the mailing list. I said that is retarded.

2 Likes

Lmfao.

:ok_hand:

I prefer neitherBSD.

Mostly because I don’t want to relearn grep and enjoy extended regex.

Gnu 4eva

(/troll)

1 Like

INHALE…

@.MODERATORS

FLAGGED

2 Likes

so alias grep=egrep

I would love to chat to you about this stuff. Its exactly my mantra.

My main project right now is literally to choose a laptop. Has been for years. And the only one I have really even liked was my powerbook. So, look at how to make it useful again. And if no one is maintaining the os, do that too!

Gunna start ppc arch up again for the same reason probably.

People don’t pay attention to the real security stuff. Oh sure, you can have the newest linux kernel and all that shit, or you could run icaros on your trip out to russia or whatever. Hard to hit a system that isn’t much more than a toy xD