So I'm Jumping Towards Animation

For reference I started a blog for me to keep track of this stuff, maybe do more later on with it.

https://ph4nt0m117.wixsite.com/asom

So I have always loved animation. Anime, Anything that was on cartoon network as a kid, all of it. I used to just sit and make flip books in the summer and probably have a few still laying around. I always kinda wanted to learn how to do it all but I never thought I would be able to. Well, now I can. Like very easily.

With Toonz being widely available now and digital art being a relatively large thing as well, I didn't realize how easy it would be to get a digital tablet. So, I got this one.

It appears to be a good tablet to start on and seems to be popular enough. Has similar specs to a bamboo tablet I was looking at that was 70 bucks. If I really get serious about digital art vs pencil I will probably upgrade. On top of that I am going to learn how krita works, which I also didn't really know was one of the more popular tools. I normally think of Sai and it being a pain in my ass.

I dunno if this will become my thing or if I will really dive into it, but animating a thing should be a good goal to start. I have to get used to the fact that looking at what I am drawing on isn't going to do shit, so hopfully my hand eye coordination isn't awful. x-x

Like I said I have always had a fascination. I sometimes just go on youtube and watch animations all day that are done on a program called Pencil and Paper. You draw each frame like a cell and add color layers in that and you can see the process of how the animation was made if you watch carefully. I used to also study the art styles of shows when I was a kid. Like how the stuff in the background of Ed Edd and Eddy was similar to the background of Jackie Chan Adventures. Or how the animated characters matched up with specific voice actors and if you changed the voice actor, even on a pointless background character, that it was just really wierd (kinda plays with your mind at that point).

Either way, the tablet is in the mail and should be here tomorrow. I'll be excited in the morning and probably sitting on the porch all day waiting for it to arrive.

2 Likes

Huion actually has good linux support iirc, they helped Krita devs with support for non-wacom devices while back.

If you want to do 2d/3d animation on FLOSS (which, let's be honest, we both know you do) you should check out Synfig and Blender Greasepencil. They're both compelling software offerings, and both more stable with large projects than flash ever was.

1 Like

I wanna use toonz tho. Thats what I'm going to learn first.

That's a tiny tiny pad. I'd go with wacom personally.

1 Like

Well I'm just starting. I don't wanna throw 100 bucks at something I don't have any experience in yet.

30 seems pretty good at a starting tier. Plus portability.

1 Like

This was my thinking in recommending Greasepencil and Synfig. They're both fully featured, and have the huge advantage of costing nothing.

I don't know if I would have gone with a pad that small. I have a Huion H610, which is a bit better in terms of size. At the same time, I first started digitally drawing with a small bamboo pad, so might be fine as a start until you decide that you have a hang of things.

2 Likes

I have the 610 pro, moved up to a yiynova display digitizer last year. I'd say starting small isn't really necessary if you can already draw.

@FaunCB you probably know I do not like anime but best of luck to you in this endeavour as I can fully support creativity and hard work. I hope that at some point in the future I can find the ability to dedicate myself to learning something new. Again best of luck in learning anime animation.

Probably not anime kind of animation, but 2D. I always liked the small cartoons. Or fan animations of stuff.