So I'm Going To Start A Podcast

Working Title: Single User Mode: A Linux Desktop Podcast

I like the name for the moment, but it might change.

Basically I have wanted to do a podcast central around linux for a while. I consider myself a basic linux user, albeit a little eccentric. I could do blender one day, video editingf the next, dayf after that I’m streaming CSGO. I do just about everything on linux that pops into my head that snags my fancy that day, so for the most part I feel I have a good foothold on what a user would do or want to know about.

So what will it be about?

Well, basic premise is that its a podcast about users, for users. And by that I mean if some games of major importance come out on steam, I report it. If something big happens in wine or with related technologies, I report on it. If theres a big topic from other podcasts, I wanna talk about it.

Episode one will be a basic intro to what the podcast is about and will have only one topic, but each episode I want to be about 30-50 minutes long with 2-3 topics total. Somewhere in there I will have mention of important updates, either game releases, technologies, something dell or a hardware manufacturer did, etc, and some talk about whatever distro’s I am using. If eventually there is a viewerbase with questions I’ll have a Q+A section at the end to make it a full 40-60 minute podcast.

I want to release an episode once a month or bi-weekly. I’ll release on NewGrounds (because fuck it I want to), Soundcloud, and eventually if I have a viewerbase to substantiate it, an actual podcast platform. Also to my youtube channel after I have a few episodes out.

Ep 1: SUM - Hello

Explanation of podcast
Topic 1: Is linux going to have a “year of the desktop” or has it happened already?
Topic 2: App Picks / Game Picks
End

Basic bitch content.

But theres like 800 linux podcasts, why would yours matter?

Because few of them are about the actual user side. Either they are JB style, so developer and content creator skewed, or completely developer based. I want to have a show about desktop environments and how they work, as well as about game reviews. Its like 4 AM and I have to shit really badly, but I think you get the gist.

If you guys have any suggestions on how I could structure the show, or name ideas, let me know. I’m open to suggestions.

Thanks!

3 Likes

GREAT! I’m gonna listen to it for shure! There are many Podcasts but mostly aren’t that interesting to listen to because of exactly what you described.

Maybe get other people on it as well? I find it way more interesting when two people have a genuine conversation about a topic rather then one person saying their stuff => outro.

Keep goin’!

I don’t want it to be a panelcast. For now I want a project to test… something… and to boost my it channel. I may do a mumble or team speak thingmin the future for people who want to have a debate on stuff, maybe every 5 or 10 episodes.

For now I want to keep it simple.

Most importantly just start doing it, set a schedule and stick to it.
I’d be happy to give tips once you’ve uploaded a podcast.

3 Likes

Finna bump and see what happens.

This is what happens.

1 Like

Whats under your hat.

1 Like

Broken Dreams and baby powder. (powder made of babies)

4 Likes

That sounds great. Just the kind of material I can listen to whilst on snack break.
App picks and Game picks is a good one.
I am always on the lookout for new tools to add to my arsenal.
New good games are so hard to find now unless they’re on the front page of steam!

Hell if you just summarized update notes from various popular Linux related things (looking glass, Gimp, Gnome, Inkscape, big driver updates people would listen purely because its’ easier.

Well thats the gist of what it will be, as well as one large discussion topic for people to think about. I wanted to actually do it today while I rearranged my room a bit but I have to cover shift for my boss at work.

What sorta app updates would you be looking for in general? AKA Art apps, Photo, GTK / QT updates, what? I want to have the Xandros of podcasts, not the Arch Linux of podcasts.

All the stuff I mentioned above is relevant to me. Like I said though pick some popular programs most might want to hear about.

You could create a couple polls in the Poll Syndicate thread to help flesh out and validate your ideas.

Look at it like prototyping, just do a podcast like you’ve been wanting to then refine it. Rinse and repeat

1 Like

Look foward to it!
Do you have a link

I agree with this! The scheduling is more important than anything. Even if you’re going to miss that week, a two minute segment with brief updates is better than no show.

We missed Memorial Day and I did a little sound bit to upload.

Anyway, good luck to you.

1 Like

Have yet to do my first episode, but it will be linked here when out!

1 Like

You have a podcast? Name?

OP, looking forward to some user centric content.

2 Likes

I DM’d you the links.

1 Like

I would also be interested.

Edit: in both the original topic and yours.

2 Likes

DM’d the links. Included the YouTube channel if you’re interested. Not optimized for mobile, but some Jr. L1T style content (or we like to think :grin: )

1 Like