So how do people make in home Fiber LANS

Yeah, the cables you'd want to use would be LC-LC, LC is the connector type which SFP modules use.

Yeah thats what I was looking at... Neweggs filters suck ass LOLS... I should suggest them to change them a bit
Wheres paul (newegg) he needs to read this LOLS

@Dexter_Kane Cheap LC-LC cable sources? besides Ebay
Also what are your recommended tools for termination.. planning on getting unterminated cables hopefully as I dont know how long it will have to be to certain rooms :D

Ebay would be my go to. I'm in Australia so I don't think I can help much with that. Fibre termination tools aren't cheap, I wouldn't know where to look other than ebay.

I figured... it would be totally cool.. Im totalling cost and stuff for both options
CAT6A and switchs (gigabit) Could be expanded to 10GIG Enet
and
Hybrid Ethernet Fiber (gigabit) (would cost to expand speed)
They are looking awfully close.. the thing is I will be mainly wiring this house for my parents as I wont be there forever... just until I finish my ECE degree... ( I am self sustaining I dont cost them much)... see they want to wire the house... but they dont know whether to choose full duplex gigabit ethernet or fiber.. so I am working on a plan.. and its actually taking some very careful planning and length of cables... so I can just buy what is needed... I hope fiber wins :D...

qdr infiniband cards and a switch can be had for something approximating reasonable.

We used a linux box and some 4 2 port 10gb card to build a switch. It was about $500 for 8 10 gigabit ports not counting the cost of the computer. Which was pretty reasonable a few years ago.

If you get two port cards, you can bridge them and connect up to 3 computers in a mesh configuration. By the end of the year the netgear stuff will probably be half price. We have a lot of coverage for all that coming.

1 Like

@wendell Awesome, I look forward to seeing it. I never though of turning a computer into the switch. Might have a look at that possibility...
@robertfontaine -- Oh gosh I thought infiniband was very pricey? or so it seems from what i have been looking at

oh PS. Cat6 with 10 gig is totally fine up to 33 meters / 100 feet. This is 1/3 the length limitation it normally is (300 feet or 100 meters) . 6A gets you the full 300 feet. But even with a really big house you'd likely not run over the lesser cat6 length limitation.
I'd recommend using cat6a sockets (but not plugs) as some cat6 sockets are sketchy.

Oh yeah. I was looking at augment cat6 earlier. I didnt want to use CAT6 but my issue is a decent 10 gig switch at the smallest size has an atrocious price. Then again upgrading my PFsense firewall with a decent mount of cards that do 10gbe would probably be the same price :D. I do not think I will be running a cable beyond about 235 feet.
If i go the ethernet route. Do you know of even good wholesale cable. Newegg is well... already preterminated and I dont just want to buy bundles of 50ft preterminated CAT6A if I go that route?