So how do people make in home Fiber LANS

so how would someone go about making a 10gbps internal fiber LAN...and maybe a cat6a going out to the internet mode... I know it would be multi mode... what kind of connectors would one be looking at (ST or SC or whatever) specifics would be nice.. any recommened routers/switches for that kind of stuff (specifics would be appreciated....) would you need duplex connectors.. etc
I am seriously curious about this.. :D

I have a 10gb fibre link between my two file serves. I found a couple of cards on ebay which used xfp transceivers for $150 together. Current stuff uses sfp+ modules but the older stiff is pretty cheap.

All 10gb switches are expensive. You're looking at least $1000. That's why I only have two computer connected to each other.

For a small network it's much cheaper to use copper for 10gb rather than fibre. Either Ethernet cable or direct attached copper (which is a cheap way of using cards and switches with sfp slots as you don't need to by any trancievers).

As far as connectors go xfp and sfp transceivers both use LC connectors. Which are duplex and run two strands to two connectors on each transceiver.

The transceivers need to be the same on both ends, you can mix and match xfp and sfp but the wavelength of the laser needs to be the same. For a small network you'd use short range transceivers with multimode 50/125 OM3 or 4 cable. Single mode you'd use for longer range stuff or really high bandwidths.

But like I said using 10gb base-t with cat6a cable is a much easier and cheaper option.

1 Like

take a look at types of fibre you want, and for house network i'd hit plastic fibre (flexible)
(it's going to be cheaper with plastic fibre than with real fibre)

Thanks yeah I was just curious.. :D the only thing is the 10g ethernet intel lan is still like 200 dollars a card lols Guess its still not there yet but its amazing how much it has come down in price

@Dexter_Kane The more I look into this fiber stuff the more I want to do it myself.. Its pretty cool and the fact of wiring a house with it would be priceless to me... Considering im going to have century link symmetrical gigabit fiber when I move to my next place... How much would it be just for a full duplex gigabit fiber connection ?

The thing that makes fibre expensive is that you need to buy the network card and the transceiver. For 10GB you're looking at at least $500 per interface for anything new, but you can get good deals on ebay sometimes. For gigabit it's much cheaper, but still a lot more expensive than just using cat6 cable. The fibre itself isn't much more expensive than cat6, especially for longer runs.

If you want to use fibre in your house you can get media converters to convert the 1000 base-t to fibre, that way you don't need a fibre switch or NICs. Those are probably $100 each, give or take.

I know that fibre is cool and everything (That's pretty much why I'm using it, that and I got a great deal on the 10GB cards :P) but the real advantage of it is distance, for anything less than 100m copper is much cheaper and easier to work with (You can buy an rj45 crimping tool for a couple of dollars but I'd expect a fibre termination tool would be at least $1000).

Keep an eye on ebay for 10gb equipment, maybe you'll get lucky :P

I think Ill stick to fiber on my server(a very large NAS) connection to a 10gb switch and 10gb ethernet to the computers as there are quite a few :D.. still Ill keep an eye out for now.. since this whole thing wont be happening too soon :D

Well if you see any 10gb switches going cheap, let me know :P

You might be interested in this

1 Like

Those are fricken Awesome.. might do that instead of 10gb
@Dexter_Kane I didnt here him say what transeivers he placed in there?
Seems like a more viable option a Hybrid Fiber Sneakernet LOLS network

Theoretically you could use ethernet out to one of those then find a relatively cheap SFP router/switch and eliminate the one on the other end no?

They are mini-GBIC SFP short range gigabit (1000base-SX) transceivers.

Yes, I would think so. Just as long as the trancivers on each end are the same type, which in this case would be 1000Base-SX which is short range multi-mode, i think the long range ones are called LX and uses single mode, but there are a whole bunch of different types. There's also ones used for fibre channel and I'm not sure if they can be used for networking or not.

I've been thinking of linking my switches together with fibre just for the fun of it bust haven't found any SFP modules cheap enough that I can be bothered with it :P

1 Like

I was looking on newegg... What kind of SFP modules... how would I filter results on newegg so I am finding the right part?
This might be a stupid question but would any mini GBIC SFP SR/SX module fit that TP link ?
Also I am sure this hybrid network type would totally make up for itself when you factor in what century link would charge for them to do it... tis sad

Also I really wish these were cheaper LOLS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106069
Then I could just find a good little media converter that does 10GB ethernet and :D Voila

I've seriously considered using 4 Gb Fibre Channel cards and a PC to route IP over Fibre Channel. The standard supports it, but I haven't done more than just research it. Fibre Channel stuff is quite cheap on ebay these days, 4 Gb cards go for as little as $5.

1 Like

Why does that not sound legit ... 5 dollars sounds to good to be true from what I am looking at on newegg LOLS

Fit? Yes. Work? I don't know. I would assume they are standardized but I've heard of switches that will only work with certain brands. I have one of the TP-Link modules, the model number is TL-SM311LM if that helps. I would search for mini-gbic 1000base-sx.

Because, like I said, 4 Gb Fibre Channel is an old standard.

Will look... It looks like this will be a far better option than snaking tons of CAT6A lols... not to mention the switch up top :(... Im am extremely glad you guys blessed the knowledge of fiber upon me LOLS

If you choose to use Fibre Channel do note that it was originally used for SAN and wasn't intended to support IP by default. You will need to use PC as a router and set up a network bridge to forward the lan and internet traffic over the fiber. It's a hack but that's the only way I can see it working without having to buy very expensive equipment.

Im choosing the 1 gbps SX route above.. with the media converters.. :D

I've had a look on ebay, there are a few gigabit SFP NICs going for around $50. Either way it's going to cost about the same as using the media converters.

Hey what connector number (newegg) would the SC/SX/SFP cables be?
SCRATCH THAT
Its connector type two male to male