So, Fallout 4: Game of the Year Edition

Fallout Online incoming

This. Replayability is 100% dead thanks to this structure. I haven’t touched it since I beat it.

I disagree, you can do a few playthroughs, like a railroad character with settlements then a brotherhood or institute character without. Swapping from male to female or via versa will also give you a second set of unique voices, so even if sounding the same is a deal breaker you get a 2nd shot t it.

That said its still much much worse replayability than something like New Vegas that had no voice acting and dozens of dialog choices, many which only show over certain stats or fraction likeness, but honestly its still way better than most games on the market. Doesn’t matter if you pick up life is strange or Madia 3, your likely not going to do the campaign twice… but all those games still break the sub $1 per hour mark, so I struggle to complain about any based on playtime.

Wait, what?

Well, idk how replayable it will be once i play through it once. But i think i started around 4-5 characters in FO3. Love that game.

I joke, but it is getting there.

Bethesda are barely able to finish the games as is and will just put out any old crap as long as it loads something to walk around in and then let modders fix the rest of the entire game for them.

Then there is the creation club, or paid mods. So if you put the twomlogical conclusions together, bethesda will likely just end up releasing an engine with no game at all because they forgot how to actually make them and it will just load up the creation club mod store and you can make you own adventure by buying all the parts of the game.

It is a joke, but one I can completely see happening.

1 Like

Fallout 4 is a great way to get into retro gaming. :rofl:

3 Likes

ive played 2, 3, vegas, and 4. fallout 4 is really bland, not much is quite memorable, missions are the same go here kill this do it 50 more times bullshit. story and choices are ass, dont really effect anything in the wolrd/story. changing up your characters abilities/stats does about nothing also (though some quite OP.) worth $20 for GOTY maybe, because mods.

id rank them from best to last with new vegas, 3, 2, 4.

this is all just my opinion

1 Like

Oh, ok.

@ProSonicLive

I don’t follow.

@trickkynickk

Yeah, i mean. I believe it, based on how many people are saying it. However, i did learn to not listen to reviews of some games. Probably just whiney millennials who have no credibility.

BUT STILL, no one answered one of my questions. How is the game world? How diverse are the environments. Please no spoilers for really cool areas.

1 Like

environment is kinda flat, all the games are pretty consistent on the blown up shit everywhere. weather is just sun, rain, or radiation storm. It has like two unique areas, 1 being DLC. most of the world feels cramped though, buildings/cities are usually a stones throw away.

Diversity would come from architecture/cities, because it’s just Massachusetts, so some hilly areas, but no Snow/Desert. Cities are mostly different from each other. If you want snow, desert, or seasons there are some mods for that too. The game world isn’t really too bad, it just was wasted on the lackluster game built around that. Actually, that is probably the only reason people think this game is good. Other than just the name “Fallout” being on it.

Do you mean swinging pipe or Rebar club?

1 Like

I suspect the word “fallout” actually hurts it in terms of public perception as much as it helped (although its a massive help in sales and playtime likely). If it had been a first game of a new studio, even at the same price many people would say it was a great open world shooter.

Instead because its a “fallout” game expectations where impossible, and its directly compared to the last fallout game (New Vegas) which is basically unrivaled in terms of an open single player sidequest sandbox. Unlike even the witcher 3 levels or main plot progression didn’t lock you out of anything, and it was one of the few games with more than 2 major factions you could end the game supporting, and one of the most believable and graceful to change alignment mid game (for example you actually get better and better quest offers to betray NRC to the legion as you get more NCR fame, so your not ever stuck on a railroad of “best” progression).

Also on FO4, the game map offers just as much diversity in looks and more space than most other open world games, from GTAV, to Skyrim, with more than typical desnity of stuff to do, the only recent game that really betters it within the same genres is witcher3. We’re just very used to the massive steady expansion that lets MMORPG’s have insane map sizes, or the graphical fidelity and environmental diversity enabled by hand crafted linear levels in shooters.

Nostalgia glasses aside its not even a worse game than FO3 was if you ignore the nagging to do things. The gunplay actually works outside of vats, and the map is intuitive to explore instead of relying on a frustrating subway system. It even crashes less and got better performance on the average hardware at launch. Fallout4 didn’t get bad in any mechanics or worldbuilding, it was just hamstrung by unlikable characters in a average quality short story they bulked out with badly made radiant quests.

GAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!

CHEWS OFF OWN LEG IN CAPS LOCK

1 Like

I won’t talk about the game itself, because I’ve ranted about it so much I’m tired of talking about it.
So here’s just one tip:

The dialogue choices don’t actually match what you say, so get a mod that replaces the hints with full dialogue … or don’t or you might notice how bad the dialogue is… See there I go again. :triumph:

1 Like

So, i’ll be getting it next Tuesday. I keep hearing mixed things about the High res texture pack. Yay, or nay?

I installed a mod that removed the cap on the amount of food and water a settlement can hold. Oooh boy was that a bad idea, had to defend twenty settlements back to back to back.

Anyways, the only reason why I have over 300 hours into FO4 is because I modded it quite a bit to make it more fun. Crafting mods, settlement mods, some odds and ends, and stuff like that. You don’t need to mod it to have fun, but mods fixed some of the issues I had with it and extended the amount of time I played by quite a bit.

I still haven’t completed the main questline.

2 Likes

You can very easily mod the game to have a cap on the effect of food and water on raids while still removing the cap in the workshop for generation, but honestly I do ask why you’d want to override the default limits… its more food\water than you ever need in game, and modding the game so you can grind for caps is a total waste of time vs just doing some generic dungeon raids with a strong companion to help carry loot or using the console to cheat in money.

I totally agree with your image though… the price of NV and all DLC is currently sub $10 on the humble store, and it continues to be more game than FO4, even if the graphics are dated (and there are mods that help LOTS for making it look new again, if you have the video memory to handle it).

Well i’m installing the game as i write this. Ordered it yesterday. I dont know how any of those mechanics work so i can’t say whether or not modding them is necessary. On the list of top mods for FO4 i DID notice that there’s a “Mods do not lock achievements” mod? Something like that?

Modding locks achievements? WTF?

Yes, adding a mod locks achievements.

Paid Mods

ahem

Creation Club does not disable achievements. Nor does using the console for that matter.

To be fair, allowing achievements on mods or not is a bit grey. On one hand it sucks that you stop getting progress towards things just because you installed a mod that makes your pip boy look different, or fix a bug. On the other lots of mods are way overpowered, even when they intend to make the game harder it often means you get higher level loot (or more loot) than you otherwise would for a amount of play time, and most mods that add quests or items (that aren’t just reskins) do make the game easier, they change the game in ways that allow more options (eg even a “balanced” armor set will be an extra option that non-modded players don’t have, thus an advantage to modded players). Thus it also seems unfair to people who invest time into getting an achievement to let somebody else have it much faster due to a mod.

Content creation club on the other hand (in theory) allows it to be certified as balanced ect as the original game or DLC… in practice I’m not so convinced, because firstly as mentioned before it still adds more options, and secondly berthedsa isn’t well known for its balance in Fallout anyway… remember operation anchorage for FOE3? Could be done right at the start of the game, and gave power armor (plus ability to wear it) and a few high end weapons like a end game sword, guess rifle and some explosives… your normally halfway through the game to get that armor, and near the end to use the gauss rifle, yet the offical DLC gives it at level one. Heck Obsidian entertainment followed the footsteps with the NV DLC… the water canteen allows you to get hardcore more achievements without needing water, and gun runners arsenal stuff is available to buy early on if you have the caps (its a leveled vendor, but its top stock is better than any drops your likely to find till higher level).