So confused on updating my system/systems with Ryzen - need advice please

I'm running some very old stuff right now. I am planing a slow upgrade path ... I have a server and a main pc that i will be upgrading in time but I am not sure about what motherboard / chipset Ram Combo would best suit me for the least expense. I would prefer to stay away from Asus and MSI because of bad experiences with them. Ok . as for my systems...

The main PC:
Case: Cooler Master HAF XB II EVO
Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
CPU: AMD FX-8350 OC'd 4716 MHz air cooled Noctua DH-15
Ram: 16 GB 2x 8GB PC3-17000 PNY Electronics
Graphics: MSI R9 390X Gaming (MS-V201)
Monitors: main - 55" Samsung TV (SAM08FE) - 27" AOC 2769M
Drives: Boot drive: 256 GB SSD TOSHIBA THNSNJ256GCSU - Storage drive: 1TB SSD Mushkin MKNSSDRE1TB
Sound: Creative Soundblaster Zr PCIe
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (x64) Build 15063.296 (RS2)
Usage: everything ... I'm not a huge gamer but I like a well rounded machine because I play with a lot of stuff so I like to have the power)

Network 1Ghz

Server PC:
Case: Cooler Master HAF XB II EVO (lol yeah I like the case :smiley:)
Motherboard: Asus M4A785TD-V EVO U3S6
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 820 2800MHz
Ram: 16 GB 4x 4GB Samsung (unknown) 1600
Graphics: onboard (Gallium on AMD RS880?)
Drives: 2x WD 1 TB mechanical and 3x Hatachi 2TB mechanical
Usage: network storage, nextcloud, https, email, zoneminder, VM running a Windows 10 os (lol for one program that I use for a web based radio station that doesn't play nice with wine) shoutcast and maybe more that I forgot about :slight_smile: I'm amazed that little 2.8G processor can handle all this .. but it is still chugging along ... with only minor hiccups lol

Ok now that you have what I'm working with I will explain what my plan is. I plan on updating my main pc to Ryzen and figuring I will be going with the 1700. I plan on making my main system the server system and retiring the real old hardware while giving the server a bit of a boost. I don't have a lot of cash to spend so I'm looking for the cheapest route. At the same time I'm looking to the future and a few years down the road I may update the Ryzen system and want to move it to the server system. I have heard Wendell talk about issues with linux on some boards... so basically I'm looking for my cheapest route that can later be moved to a linux box and would still preform well for my server use.. if that makes sense. As of now I have 5 drives running .. no raid or anything ... not really needed for me so even though I'm dealing with the main PC upgrade .. I want to make sure the MB can handle at least 6 drives ... I don't need SLI or crossfire .. doubt I would ever be using 2 graphics cards. As for budget .. I really don't have one .. I will have to save for whatever ... it will just be how much time I have to save for ... but I would prefer something less expensive because I have been waiting for a very long time and I hate this Sabertooth MB so I want to not have to deal with it as my main system anymore lol. Im thinking Asrock seems to be good with both windows and linux ... but ... what chipset is good for me ... and would work later in my server with all the drives .. would I be OK with the B to save some money ... would the B350 be good for my 390x and preform just as well as a more pricey X370 chipset ... Im so confused :smiley: and does anyone know of a combo of asrock MB and 3200 ram that works well together .. and lol I also don't want to deal with Corsair... lol ... companies seem to be putting out garbage lately .. all the "good" name brands... I have had issues with Corsair MSI and Asus lol

Anyway... if you made it through this book and have any suggestions let me know
Thanks in advance