Snowden Movie

I agree with a lot you have said. I do think he should come back to America but that is my own personal belief and its on valid to me. In the community of cyberwarfare we really aren't big fans of Snowden but it's mainly a principle thing. It shows huge breaches on several levels. How did he get a flash drive into a secure comm vault? Why wasn't the data encrypted and only able to be accessed from select user accounts? Did he have admin permissions that would have allowed him to grant access to this information? What were the admins on duty at the time doing? How did he get out of the vault with the flash drive? Why did it take so long for the admins to figure it out? Why wasn't their better procedures in place for this kind of attack? It's really frustrating because these are things I have had to deal with on a daily basis and have been extensively trained to be mindful of. I would really like to see what @wendell and @DeusQain have to say about the trailer and the portrayal of Snowden.

1 Like

I'm not sure what points are being cross talked but I am more then willing to talk about them.

These are all valid points. My thought on this is not so much about Snowden, but more on: These people have all our metadata, and it's so amazingly secure, that a contractor had access to all that.

8 Likes

Not to mention their are probably backups in several different locations which is greatly increasing the risk for another breach.

The comments on that trailer are amazing.

6 Likes

The trailer is a bit weird. For one this is Oliver Stone so he can make good, effective movies but the trailer seems really bad. Snowden is not this hollywood-sterotype of hacking genius, but just a guy. That how he looks like , how he talks and that is how he behaves publicly. Just a guy that the only unique thing he did was that he had the balls to do what he thought was for the best of everybody (for best or worst can be argued), ignoring the consequences. That is what is actually so interesting about him. That he is as everyday /"average" of a person as it gets. It has nothing to do with what the trailer is showing. Then again trailers themselves can very easily alter the character of the actual movie. So you can never know until you actually see it...

About the general discussion on the thread:
How is the portrayal of Snowden in a movie that can be largely fiction have anything to do withe the matter if his actions being ethical? These are different discussions that seem to be mingled somehow.

I thought he said "find the terrorist in the internet hay stack" like needle in hay stack.
And yeah not many of the mainstream have heard or read much outside mainstream media, let alone watched the documentary, this looks like it will be good to get the story of what he did and why to more people and in turn more people watching the documentary

After replaying it a few times yea I hear what you said. Still a corny line none the less. And as for having more people interested in watch the documentary, I hope so. I really do.

I'll see it. I like Levitt's movies. He doesn't just choose whatever.

They will almost certainly get parts of the story wrong. Because it's a movie and not a documentary. They tell you that it won't be entirely accurate when they say "based on true events". What I hope from this movie is that they will bring more people to light on the events that happened. The things like the NSA spying which some people still think is right/ necessary. That's what I'm hoping this movie does, the story will get mixed up, it's just the way it works in Holllywood.

They are playing with fire, and I think this one has that potential to be Star Wars kind of we have made great mistake riot. :D

Will keep an eye on Snowdens tweets, and let the person himself guide me if I should feel positive or negative about it.

I cringed so hard at the trailer.

2 Likes

In short FUCK NO Okay, let me explain myself, this is a completely unfair representation of snowden, hey was an independent contractor, not A FUCKING PRODIGY, this is not how anything is actually handeled in the government, yes he is being chased after, but he is not 007, this is a really shit and unfair, and untrue representation of the whole snowden revelations.

Let me fill you in, snowdens documents show that they record all call metadata, any info that goes un ecrypted through all ISPs, and take a shit load of info from all of the big corporations, google, microsoft, facebook. And the cherry on top showed that the director of the NSA lied under oath, and that barely scratches the surface. Also this shouldn't violate your contract.

I think you are missing the point. It's a movie, not a documentary. If they wanted to 100% accurate they would make a documentary. This is a movie, made for entertainment and profit, and maybe to make people think a little bit. It's not supposed to be his life story verbatim.

snowdens tweet, my thoughts exactly

It does violate because I have a secret clearance pertaining to "x" not "y". Which is kind of my point. Snowden didn't have any clearance to know about or view the material that he got. In the cyberwarfare community we are actually suspecting that he was trying to steal data to sell to other countries( this happens a lot) but then saw what he had and decided to publish it. That is just speculation. I'm just really trying to point out how the system works. That data wasn't ever meant for his eyes or the eyes of anyone else in "it" or "cyber security". My point is the trailer is basically making him seem like a super badass hacker or super spy (if this was the case the government would deny all as is the policy) but we know that he was a contracter brought in to make sure the network and data were secure. I can't stress how weird this movie is. It's like the film makers are lying to create a framework to push a view point. I'm sure the government was up to no good. Snowden probably did a service by what he did. Just don't lie and warp the truth that's all I'm saying. I mean this movie trailer seems so far fetched from the truth I wouldn't be suprised if they say he invented the Internet and caught bin laden.

The fact that Snowden is so mainstream and gets coverage by the media, and now even cinema, is just proof that this is being promulgated by the NSA and their masters.
There is a cosmic rule that says that they must tell us what they are doing to us. The Truth will always come out, whether people choose to believe, or act upon it, is another matter.

Hey cool, another fucking necro.