Smartwatch skin burn anyone?

Hey!
So it’s been more than a years now that i try everything i can to figure out this bug … Human being are a pain to debug :upside_down_face:

I have a Tic Watch pro android smart watch with a heart rate sensor, it was an upgrade from a Huawei Watch , witch itself was an upgrade from a moto360.

I never had the issue before with other watch, smart or not, but this one weirdly burn me in some way.
I won’t share unsettling picture, i don’t think it’s the place for, but i basicaly get a very swollen and red skin, with visible mark where the window for the heart rate sensor is.
The top skin will then slowly get replace in a kinda painfull, itchy, and long processes
I’ve been testing on both wrist because a 3 week recovery is way to long.

I first contacted the company who sell the watch mobvoi (which is an IA and big data company, how weird to sell sensor-full tracking device :troll:).
We thought it might be a sensitive reaction to the light of the heart-rate sensor. So they told me to remove every application right to it in order to stop it.
This didn’t work because one of there app (the main one) still used it and didn’t had right control.
After some fielding, i managed to disable the app with ADB. but i still get burned

It felt weird because i never reacted to the other watch sensor, but maybe there was more powerful ? and i was taking some pill to help dry my skin at the time.

Anyway, next step was to put a piece of thick tape on the sensor, hopping to block any light from it. Still no luck, but the burn no-longer had the sensor shape in the middle.

Next, i though about the metal of the body and how some people react weird to it. All my smartwatch before were plastic where the skin is, and it’s the first one with stainless steel.
I took a sock (i hop i won’t find it’s girlfriend now that i killed this one), cut both end, put it on my wrist and put the watch over.

Welp it didn’t help, i’m still healing from this one. but maybe … maybe the light has gone through the sock ?
As a last attempt, i just put the watch OFF all day … and still i have that weird burn :sob:

I’m completely out of idea … and wrist to test right now. I’m so demoralized.
Did anyone have any idea of what can it be ?
Do you have spare wrist i could get to replace mine ?

1 Like

It’s an allergic reaction, not a burn. It could also be an infection in the inflamed tissue.

What’s the watch back made from exactly? If it is not marked 316L stainless, it could be some junk alloy. Nickel is something a lot of people can be allergic to.

Stop wearing the watch.

Nota doctor but put some hydrocortisone on the spot for a few days see if it goes away. If the spot gets worse after a day with cortisone, switch to antibacterial ointment or go to a clinic.

Check the watch back using a magnet, if it sticks even a little it’s a cheap alloy and you should ask for a refund. If that’s not an option, find a silicone protector for it that covers the back, or maybe use Kapton tape.

5 Likes

Or a chemical reaction, or even if it is a light issue, stop wearing it, unless you need it to regulate something like an insulin pump or something

1 Like

This made me really chuckle. Thanks man.

Still Stop with that watch.

i was thinking about getting some liquid ceramic coating, but the test with the sock, so without direct contact, made me think it wasn’t an allergic reaction …
There is nothing on the back of the watch about the type of material but it’s not attracted to magnet. I’ve only read online about it being stainless steel, but it’s not written on the mobvoi website.

Sadly it’s not possible to get a refund, to late. Nor find some antiastaminic or hydrocortisone, health crise, can’t see a doc.

I really really really nee… want a smartwatch and it was the only one who checked every box …

Fu*k. It’s a nickel alloy

You could try seal it with something that is non porous. That’s also.likely why the sock did not help, and sweat could still carry over the irritation.

I see people put some sort of clear sticker on the backs of watches that cause them trouble and say it works so that might work, like kapton tape suggested above.

1 Like

What about shrink wrap around the watch?

the issue with that and tape is charging the watch. the pin are on the back and would require very precises cut (plus the fact that it’s not plain)

Weak…

Eh… Not really sure then the shape makes it a real pain.

Some sort of varnish? Epoxy or something?

I’ve seen some varnish like nickel protection on amazon.com … but no shipping oversea and i can’t find anything on this side of the world.

i’m looking at what the car industry have in ceramic coating, but it’s not cheap :flushed:

1 Like

Their website seems to ship worldwide. It at least lists European countries at checkout.

When did you buy it? Any chance you can give it back for a refund?
If it’s just the bare metal your skin is reacting with, there’s a version of the watch that has the back coated.

1 Like

Sadly i bought it more than a years ago… But i’ll try re-contacting the company. Who know…
And for the product i’ll try to find something else. 23$ for shipping with a 12day delay for customs …

1 Like

When you do contact them, could you maybe ask just for the coated back and then have a jeweler, or just DIY replace it, not sure if waterproofing is a thing or whatever else.

Probably need to ask them for the screws too.

Or, if there are any still open, ask a jeweler about coatings or some such

1 Like

We are on total lockdown. But i will ask for part only if i can have that at least for sur

1 Like

Probably wanna go see a dermatologist too. I know it’s a pain in the ass right now but better safe than sorry. And it should clear things up if you are allergic to Nicke-alloys (maybe reacting with your sweat) or if it’s something else.
And definitely do some research about what smartwatches also gave people rashes (apparently even the Apple Watch gives some people rashes) and if those people are sure what part of the watch caused it (for some it’s the silicone strap).

1 Like

Sadly i had an appointment 3 day after the lockdown and it was planned to talk about it. But it’s canceled and the only place i can legally go is the hospitals emergency. They have better to do so i’ll wait another month or 2.
But thank you for your concerns

That sucks. But for now just don’t wear the watch.

1 Like

So, i got a couple of mail from Mobvoi.

• They claim that the new back won’t change anything, so i guess it’s not painted over…
  • They confirm it’s nickel based but comply with safty regulation
  • They offered a free downgrade to one of there plastic backed watch

I refused the downgrade since they are lacking everything i need of a smartwatch, and would be better of with my old Huawei

I’ll try nail polish… but because the sensor, HP and charging pad are glued in the back, i will have to be extra careful not to damage it.

1 Like