Smart Defrag vs Defraggler

Seen a recommendation for smart defrag in a post on here and wanted to broaden the perspective people hold for it most of my searches have left me with rather old data and if I've learned anything one simple update to a program can completely overthrow the scale so I'd like a bit more up to date opinions.

I use defraggler

I use defraggler on almost every PC i use, but since my last forum post im looking into smart defrag

Right Droidie I did a little research after seeing it brought up there that's why I created this topic. Smart Defrag (2) is seemingly faster, has more options etc from what I've saw but defraggler seems to be more of a household name. So incase of support etc... hmm. okay I'll wait to see if anyone else has anything to contribute.

Raxco Software: PerfectDisk set up a dos boot time defrag takes 90% less time or Diskeeper is a great defrager

I imagine smart defrag is on par with about any other defrag program out there. Thats not where it shines. In my case( single partition hdds ) the file system optimizing just rocks. It makes a noticable improvement on over all system performance .  So in my opinion just defragging is not good enough . File system optimizing makes a world of difference for those who are running just hdds. Now that i am running a ssd boot and a hdd storage i can not honestly say it will matter much anymore. Still testing it out to see if it even matters with such a config. But dont take my word for it try it for yourself. I already know it works.  Deep optimize will at first take a long time, especially for windows. Windows has crappy file management. Then a fast optimize  once a week will due in most cases.  And yes i am a fanboy of there products been using them since they started. Has made a world of difference on how well my windows worked and also saved me alot of time, and helped me be more productive.

and I know smart defrag has the option to set boot defrag once, daily, weekly or monthly but I aswell have a ssd so...

Dont defrag your ssd , ever. It recognizes ssds last i looked, so will not work if your boot is ssd.

I suspect that file system optimizing is not going to be that important in a ssd hdd setup. Using it on your hdd will make a difference but not a great one unless your moving a large amounts of files around. Mostly applies to hdds with windows on it . Mostly because windows has very bad file management.

You are correct

all defrag would do on an ssd is chew through your write lifetime limit and give you a dead drive quicker.

Ive yet to fully test smart defragger, i installed it 1st time on a clients computer, told it to defrag when its using less than 40% system resources and when its asleep, seems a good program, just got my windows 8 reinstalled so setting everything up on here :)

Right on keep it going just got all my main hardware just working on monitors etc now :) but that's a sidetopic. I think I'll go ahead and try out smart defrag as well...

I was using Defraggler for many years and have now been using Smart Defrag 2 for about 1 year. I have been -very- pleased with Smart Defrag 2 (Pro)

I would happily recommend either Defraggler or Smart Defrag 2 to anyone but which would depend on the desired results/needs of the user.

Defraggler is a good replacement for the Windows Defrag. It does a far better job and will keep your system running smoothly. Great software!

Smart Defrag 2 is for those who want to maintain the performance levels of hard drives, OS and software.

"But Lyrek! Windows 7 and 8 do maintenance for you behind the scenes!" Indeed they do, friend! BUT, you'll be sorry if you rely only on that! The windows defrag only runs (even if scheduled) if the drive is at a certain level of fragmentation. A level (imo) which is far to degraded to be acceptable.

Auslogics Disk Defrag free. One I use.. and it is also one of the fastest.

I have used both and they both have their uses. I get significantly more fre disk space when using Defraggler over smart defrag. 79.6 gigs after defrag with smart defrag and 91.9 free space after Defraggler with nothing uninstalled from drive. Both have boot time defrag. System optimization doesn’t really do anything for me that I can’t take care of manually. Smart defrag is a hell of a lot faster but imo is not as thorough as Defraggler which is why it is slower. I choose Defraggler over the latter.

Please look at the time stamps before posting, this thread was made back in 2013.