Small windows problems thread

My Aquantia ACQ108 NIC is butting heads with my router for some reason after the latest Windows update, it downloads correctly but doesn’t upload correctly, its way too slow.
Reinstalled the drivers already, but that doesn’t seem to work.
Any ideas?

Maybe you have this confused for the ‘bitch about windows section’. This is a problems thread to seek help.

https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/security-updates/windowsupdateservices/18127499

that is in fact the correct section

Ive had no luck with those nics… but you could try a network stack reset just for good measure.

No, it’s legit acting like this.

Acting like what?

Yeah, unfortunately that didn’t work.
However i only have Gigabit ethernet, so its not going to be a huge loss until i figure it out.

Mine neither

you could revert the update if you think thats what caused it.

I have to change my CPU in the next few days and that will required me to deal with drivers, so i’ll just do a clean install

well I suppose thats one way to deal with it.

Tinker with ARP Offload, NS Offload, TCP/UDP Checksum Offload and see what happens …

3 Likes

Bingo, that did it!
ARP Offload - On
NS Offload - On
TCP/UDP Checksum Offload - Off, both on IPV4 and 6

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Soo, here I am again.

Dell Inspiron N4050 when booting up from cold gets a black screen, turns back to normal after I close the lid and reopen.

What can I do? How to troubleshoot? Is there some kind of dmesg or something?

The equivalent to dmesg would be event viewer.

Try using DDU to yeet the display driver and see if that makes a difference.

1 Like

The fresh install gives me a horrendous resolution, even worse than the 720p it has. Doesn’t that mean that’s how the driverless version would be?

Is DDU included in the package or do I have to donwload it? (Sorry I’m a real windoes 10 noob hahaha and I don’t have the laptop here with me)

DDU is a third party utility. Its not strictly necessary but it makes sure everything related gets removed.

If you just installed Windows then you should check the oe for drivers. Dell probably isn’t giving you the latest one. If it’s just an Intel integrated go directly to Intel for it.

1 Like

Oh snap that’s cool… but they only had it until 8.1… I’ll try to update the BIOS (mofo doesn’t even have UEFI, had to legacy boot and shit…) and see if this is the problem. Dell has a version that was published after the purchase.

Thanks sir/mam/attack helicopter!

EDIT: Won’t try to update BIOS, people been talking bout some serious bricking with this model. Will try 8.1 drivers.

2 Likes

8.1 drivers should work fine in 10. At least everything I’ve tried did.

1 Like

Anyone use Chocolatey or similar to manage software on Windows?

I’m tempted to try to but haven’t heard much about reliability etc.

@wendell I believe did a video on chocalety at some point amongst other things. If I remember correctly he recommended it.

2 Likes